First seated! (and a couple of Indians) [next to Fugio Field]

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Went out to the park, that lies next to Fugio Field, that I'd first started detecting with my Sovereign last year, hoping that what i've learned from my Explorer since I last detected it (along with the new Pro coil) might turn up a few more nice things for me. So far, other than clad, Italian coins, and some minor relics, but, of good coins, I've only found a couple of Indians and a '23 Merc there. It had rained during the day so that helped the digging and the depth a bit. After detecting for a while and only coming up with a couple of pieces of clad and sime tiny near-surface doohickeys, I heard a good sound but it was jumping around quite a bit on the display. Dug down about 5-6" and found an '82 Indian Head. I dropped into the cotton in a pill container and ran the X1 probe back through the hole. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiing! went a really nice tone. After a bit of digging, I could see silver at the bottom of the hole but I couldn't quite tell what it was. Excavating carefully, I popped out an 1876 CC Seated Liberty Dime. My first! :D

080721_SeatedDime_obverse_8351.JPG

080721_SeatedDime_reverse_8350.JPG

That definitely made my day. (And I managed to refrain from wiping it.) My oldest American silver. (Only older silver I've found is a half reale.) I've had the goal of a Barber for some time but I skipped right over it. Anyone care to give a shot at grading on it? (Using Photograde and the ANA Grading Guide, I came up with VF-20 or -30 for the obverse and F-12 for the reverse.)

After detecting a bit more, I started working my way back toward the car when I passed over what I thought was a zinc penny but, after those other coins, decided I'd dig it this time. Very shallowly (and jumping around like a corroded zinc) out popped a '91 Indian Head. Don't think I'll ignore any more zinc-link signals at this site, even if they are shallow. :)

_Rich_

Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

That's a nice old dime for sure, congrats on your first one WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys.

I saw Mike's "Sitting Pretty" post just came back to the top too. If you notice, he had a '75 seated while I found a '76 and he found an '81 IH while I found an '82 in the same hole. If that's a streak passing between folks, who's next for the '77 seated and '83 Indian? :icon_jokercolor:

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Very nice, I've only gotten one seated dime, and I am still begging the detecting gods for my first "CC" anything, super cool.

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Thanks, all!

Good point on the CC mint. That was also a first for me but any excitement at that kind of got swamped by or just added to the rest and that angle didn't register. :) I did wonder how the heck that coin got to Massachusetts.

Went back to that spot tonight briefly (before going over to the almost-ex's place to work on divorce docs for Friday's court date--ugh). Didn't find diddly except for a 1920 buffalo at about 1" down next to the macadam path. But I think that may be my first buffalo with this detector. (My Sov seemed to like them more but this SE seems to like everything else better.) I like to leave any site with at least one coin that makes me happy.

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Oh, halfdime, those pics are simply with tissue paper doubled over about 3 times and taped over the flash lens of a simple Canon A75. (That flash is way too bright even with groups of people.) Also switched to manual and adjusted the f-stop down until I got the right exposure and held the coin in my hand a little to the upper left to get a more even exposure. (At that close up, there was a cutoff point from the flash if I had it in the center.) First I've tried that but I wanted to take them last night and it seemed to work well enough. I tend to try to use fairly early (steep angle) morning direct sunlight for coins most of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread