First Seated, and she is in great shape

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I only had 2 goals for the year. 1 was to find a seated coin. Scratch that one off the list!!!!!!!!!!!!
I found it in a pounded out park. I think I just got lucky and hit the perfect angle to hear it. There were low conductors on 2 sides of it, and an iron null in front of it. I was not able to pinpoint, but had a pretty good idea of where it was. I estimate the coin to be in the 9"-10" range depth wise. It was covered in mud, so I took a walk over to the drinking fountain and let the water do some work. I saw the shield first, and knew a seated dime had finally come my way. It took almost a 1 1/2 years to find one. Hope the next one comes much sooner. I was extremely pleased after cleaning it off at the office with the condition. Hope everyone else is finding what they are looking for.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• 51909a.jpg
    51909a.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 809
Upvote 0
Congrats, That's a good feeling to unearth an old coin especially a seated.

My first seated was an 1888 dime as well. :thumbsup:

Beatiful coin. Congratulations!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET :o :o Man she is a beauty, love that date and detail, congrats my freind :thumbsup:

Cw

Very nice find :thumbsup:

awesome coin

Thanks for the posts!!!!!!!! Now, I just need to find them more often....
Dwayne- I am keeping my goal a secret until I fullfill it. I'm sure I'll make a post about it when it happens.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Hey, Jon, that's a nice seated dime. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised you haven't found one til now. One of my buddies just found his first seated dime since he started hunting years ago. His was only at 3.5", and was at a place that has 9-10" coins. If you can find a silver dime at 9-10" with trash/iron all around it, there's a little more skill involved than luck.

Congrats to you!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan,

My buddy lostlake and I have been not finding seated coins since we started detecting. I have been to many places with the right age, conditions, permissions...... For some reason I was snake bit with them. I think I found 15-20 Barber coins last year.
Just last week, I went through a very old private property that should have been loaded with seated age coins. After 2 hours, I finally hit a silver signal with nice depth. I dug down, and saw the silver in the hole. I almost didn't want to pick it up b/c it HAD to be old. When I finally grabbed it up, I noticed right away it was a ROSIE!!!!!!!! That was my luck.
I am decent with my machine, but learn something new almost every time out. What I learned on the day of the seated coin, was that my headphones were seriously holding me back. I was set to meet lostlake at the park b/c he left his headphones in my car. I beat him to the park, and just decided to try his. It was like night and day and the proof was a seated coin. I ordered a pair and should have them soon.
I will be finding more seated coins now that the hex is broken. I just need Lostlake to get his(he did find capped bust, but can't find a seated either), and then we will start nailing them.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Nice find! I can't wait to find my first. As much as I have been out and about in the last year and a half I can't believe I have not popped one out of the ground yet. Apperantly most of the seated coins in our area have all been snatched up or they just are not that abundant. Now that we know how deep those oldies are where we hunt, I better start practicing with the big coil and give my little one a rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back