First serious ocean beach hunt, any advice?

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think one of the best sites around is the Jersey shore hunters face book page, many of the east coast beach have the same look if your hunting the dry to the wetsand. Brian gives many tips...and daily updates, weather wise, and hunting conditions...then what to look for when out..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Jerseyshorebeachandsurfhunters/

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Put in the time. Sunblock. Two coats. Look for low spots in low tide. Rocks. Black packed sand. Keep us posted. can't stress sunblock enough. Full in holes don't want a 300lbr to roll their ankle and blame you. Good luck. Your gonna get the bug lol. -Joe

My family will be going the Outer Banks (Duck NC) in mid june for vacation. It will be my first try at serious beach hunting. Unfortunately I don't have a waterproof detector. Just my trusty Silver uMax. I do have a good scoop.
Any advice for a newbie to make it as successful as possible?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
swing slow and low and listen for faint sounds. Not just the screamers. It's metal detecting, not metal finding. Try to cross your coil swings by about 40% and walk grids, not willie nillie. Low spots, scallops, cuts in the sand, pay attn to low tide reports, try to get there at off times in relation to "normal" people going there as they can get in the way or ask a lot of questions. I like to be a ninja with my detector. Get in, get out undetected( no pun intended). Cover your holes, be polite to people, and send me 10% of your treasure.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
What will your family be doing while you are out hunting? When I have the family with me I wind up hunting early in the morning or at night after kids bedtime.
At these times you have the place to yourself, it's cooler, and the area is wide open.

OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What will your family be doing while you are out hunting? When I have the family with me I wind up hunting early in the morning or at night after kids bedtime.
At these times you have the place to yourself, it's cooler, and the area is wide open.

I'm the black sheep of the family. I get up with the sun and I'm the only one interested in metal detecting and golf! Everybody else (all older adults, in-laws and out- laws) will be sight seeing and shopping. I already told them not to expect to see too much of me, and they understand. They have all said "it's your vacation, do what you want"! We will all get together for meals and evening conversation.
I've already printed out a tide chart and made a scoop. I guess I just need a barrel of sunblock and i'm ready to go!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you haven't already, google NC metal detecting laws... National Seashore is off limits, and do as much research as possible. You don't want to get busted for detecting illegally...

Know the law before you beep.... good luck and safe travels

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread