First Shield Nickel!

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Hi, been awhile since I posted anything but I was very surprised by this find last weekend at Golden Gate Park. I had hunted most of the day with nothing to show for it. It wasn't until the last hour of daylight (and about 30 minutes of dark!! ;D ) that I managed to pull a Merc, silver earring, and a very small what I think may be gold ring. These finds alone would have made for a successful day and I was ready to call a day because it was getting so dark when I got a nice deep low tone. I swung over it a few times and decided to head for the car while I could still find it! But... I am SO Addicted to this hobby I dug a plug and after about 10 minutes of searching by feel I found this 1876 Shield Nickel and in pretty good shape too. It's a bit rare to find something like this in California, especially at a park hunted by everyone with a detector since detectors were invented! Anyway, hope you like the pics.

Attachments

• 1876 shield frnt.jpg
    1876 shield frnt.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 639
  • 1876 shield bak.jpg
    1876 shield bak.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 642
Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and in excellent shape :icon_thumleft: that has to be the best photo i have seen of a coin ever on T-Net great close up is that from a scanner ? :thumbsup: Dd60

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Deepdiger60 said:
Nice find and in excellent shape :icon_thumleft: that has to be the best photo i have seen of a coin ever on T-Net great close up is that from a scanner ? :thumbsup: Dd60

Thanks again guys! Dd60, Thanks for the photo comment. No Scanner, I used a Nikon with a 105mm closeup lens and adjusted a bit in Photoshop. Only thing is I didn't use a Tripod and my hands were shaking a bit from excitement. Not every day one digs up an 1876 anything around here, let alone a crispy looking Shield nickel! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions