Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Try to say that 3 times real fast. I've been wanting to go back one more time and finish up at the very small 1600s mill site I've been to a few times recently. Last time out I found the end of a seal top spoon handle quite a ways in front of the knoll, and fairly close to my truck. Figured I needed to give that area one last shot. I got my first signal about 50 yards in. It registered in the mid-40s on my F75 and appeared to be small and shallow. I took my foot and moved some of the soybean debris to get my coil closer to the ground, but when I swung over that spot again the target had disappeared. I quickly determined that it had been moved by my foot so I wasn't expecting anything but a small piece of surface junk. Had to eventually use my pinpointer to find it, and finally saw this small little silvery chunk. The side facing me was blank so I was still figuring it was just trash. But something made me turn it over and to my amazement I could see a design, and instantly knew I had a very small piece of spanish silver. After getting home I saw the crown, and based on that and the radius of curvature it appears this is from an early 1700s 1 reale. Pretty cool way to start the hunt. Needless to say, I hunkered down in that spot for a bit and made a few other finds. I eventually spread out from there and ran a loose grid for about 2 hours with little else to show for my efforts. Near the end of the hunt I did recover some sort of iron tool, most likely a splitter or chisel of some sort. Looks like it should clean up nicely in the electrolysis tank, but it will have to take its turn in line. And now I may have to go back to this site one more time if I can get there before the weeds and/or farmer close me out.

Attachments

• 040813a.JPG
    040813a.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 040813b.JPG
    040813b.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 040813c.JPG
    040813c.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 5

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love every little silver sliver . Very cool.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Once again Bill, you recovered some really old relics. How many buttons have been found there? Love the little silver.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations:hello2:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More great finds Bill, what's the knob like thing that's in the frame?
ZDD

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! What's it been, one...two weeks since ur last Spanish silver, lol. I hope that sliver has cured ur withdrawals.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! What are you using? A one inch coil!?!?! LOL

Nice finds!
HH!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little grouping there Bill. Very curious cut on the silver. I like the button with the design on the face. I also see you have a bridal mount in the upper right of the photo. I used to think they were buttons, but the iron boss always bothered me. I have since seen them on the UK finds site identified as mounts.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice little grouping there Bill. Very curious cut on the silver. I like the button with the design on the face. I also see you have a bridal mount in the upper right of the photo. I used to think they were buttons, but the iron boss always bothered me. I have since seen them on the UK finds site identified as mounts.

I used to think the same thing Steve. Those mounts are definitely a common find at colonial sites. I can't begin to tell you how many I've dug over the years.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill your sure are digging some very nice finds for sure.keep up the great work.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats cool still waiting to find a cut coin

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to think the same thing Steve. Those mounts are definitely a common find at colonial sites. I can't begin to tell you how many I've dug over the years.

I'm glad that I saw this post. I've dug several of these lately from colonial sites and didn't know what they were.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I hope you get to 25 Spanish silver on the year Bill. Only 2 more to go, I think you can make it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread