First signal was 1915d barber quarter!!

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,
After working all day on Wednesday I went to a local park in Pittsburgh, PA. I turned on my CTX 3030, I put my coil on the ground and swung it left and then right, the few seconds that it took me to do that I got a really good signal, but it was only 4 inches deep. I never thought it in a million years that it would be a 1915d barber, I mean I have dug clad dimes and Penny's at 9 and 10 inches deep. I was so excited only my 2nd barber quarter, first barber for this year. Next few targets were wheats, I am like good , pennies were shallow too only 3 inches deep. Next signal on top of a big hill , I got 12-47 , 12-48 signal at 5 inches deep. I am digging anything that is repeatable and sounds good. I am thinking probably another rusty bolt, no wrong... A 1968 Kennedy half. Cool.. happy... to have found it!!! I dig 1.00 in clad and then decide to change the spot in the park where I am hunting to a different spot in same park. I get a iffy quarter signal numbers were jumping around a little bit , only 2 inches deep. I thinking a clad quarter mixed with a nail or some other junk item. No wrong again it turns out to be an 1851 LARGE cent!! Unbelievable, only 2 inches deep?? What?? I am like how is that possible, why in some parks I dig 10 inches deep and get a memorial penny or a 1965 dime, but this place old coins and new coins are shallow!! After digging large cent, I dug one more target turned out to be a token badge looking item, mosquitoes were starting to bite, I had bug spray in the car but forgot to put it on, oh well there is always tomorrow. Thursday I went back to same park and dug a 1960 rosy. Good luck to all and hh!!

ForumRunner_20140919_223601.png

ForumRunner_20140919_223626.png

ForumRunner_20140919_223713.png

ForumRunner_20140919_223825.png

ForumRunner_20140919_224015.png

Upvote 8

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet finds, looks like that machine is coming thru for you

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a sweet spot you found there to hunt! Need a site out here that has not all-ready been mined out of silver ! So often they put in fill dirt, hate when that has happened with often whole soda cans underneath out here too. Crushed down cans often sound really good and you dig down a foot or so to see that horrible pop can top.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find.
Dontcha' just love it when your first hit is a great one??

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I'm from the Pittsburgh area, but usually do older homes and not parks.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!.. real nice spot you have there... it's no real big surprise that you'll find things a different depths where the ground has been moved around.. Some things are uncovered some things are buried deeper.
Like mentioned before that soda can a foot deep makes me sick

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job, Dave.......real nice mix of coins, Large Cent, Barber Quarter, 40% silver JFK half, wheat cents, and next day a silver Rosie......it just don't get any better than that......Happy Hunting...

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread