First silver coin! 1904 Barber dime.

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett CSI 250 (Because I thought it was a ACE 250)
I hit my front yard again this morning and dug my first silver coin. I was beginning to think people in early nineteen hundreds SE Oklahoma only carried pennies, since the only old coins i find are wheaties (until the day before yesterday, i dug my first Indian head cent). I found this dude in my front yard by the old sidewalk. Three firsts this week. I love my new F70. Oh and i swear i rotate the pictures right side up after i take them, and when i add them from my gallery they are correct, but somehow they arent coming out right on here. I have to be the most smart phone challenged 27 year old in America

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140321_094226.png
    ForumRunner_20140321_094226.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 136
  • ForumRunner_20140321_094252.png
    ForumRunner_20140321_094252.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Upvote 6

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I was beginning to think people in early nineteen hundreds SE Oklahoma only carried pennies, since the only old coins i find are wheaties (until the day before yesterday, i dug my first Indian head cent).

It's obviously not always the case, but if you're finding wheats, there's a good likelihood there's silver mixed in...at a lower concentration. From my experience, if you're finding wheats from the '50s, be on the lookout for Rosies, Washingtons and newer halves. For older wheats, be on the lookout for mercs, barbers, V nickels, etc. These coins are often found together, so just go slow and try to decipher the signals. Also, don't skip what you assume is just another wheat because you're tired of digging them...they often turn out to be barber dimes. Likewise, don't skip Lincolns thinking they're not wheats; they can turn out to be silvers and fool you too. Good luck.

OP
OP
Leco

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
It's obviously not always the case, but if you're finding wheats, there's a good likelihood there's silver mixed in...at a lower concentration. From my experience, if you're finding wheats from the '50s, be on the lookout for Rosies, Washingtons and newer halves. For older wheats, be on the lookout for mercs, barbers, V nickels, etc. These coins are often found together, so just go slow and try to decipher the signals. Also, don't skip what you assume is just another wheat because you're tired of digging them...they often turn out to be barber dimes. Likewise, don't skip Lincolns thinking they're not wheats; they can turn out to be silvers and fool you too. Good luck.
Thats good advice i shall follow. I havent gotten good at deciphering the signals so i pretty much dig everything except the sketchy light tones. I know i should i just cant figure them out. Thanks for the input.

cnyjrb

Nov 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, Ace 250, propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great first silver, I'm still waiting to see a barber. Get back out there and find some more, congrats and HH

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beauty! Silver is always fun to dig up. I can't wait till I get an Indian Head cent though. Have yet to turn one up.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Dime..
Congratz...
Davers

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Hey Leco I can tell u in good spots I will even dig those scetchy light tones because in a lot of cases once you start digging the signal will get much better and you will know before u find it that u did the right thing in checking it out.

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
A couple of years ago I moved to new Madrid mo. The town has age to it and while there they just happened to be replacing all of the sidewalks in the oldest part of town. At night after workers knocked off for the day I would detect where the old walks had been removed and I racked up on barber coins most of them in excellent shape with no wear. I had been told that before the first side walks were put down it was all just board walks so I felt good about it. I will post those on this thread soon. HH

OP
OP
Leco

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
A couple of years ago I moved to new Madrid mo. The town has age to it and while there they just happened to be replacing all of the sidewalks in the oldest part of town. At night after workers knocked off for the day I would detect where the old walks had been removed and I racked up on barber coins most of them in excellent shape with no wear. I had been told that before the first side walks were put down it was all just board walks so I felt good about it. I will post those on this thread soon. HH

So if I understand correctly, in the early years of the community, they would have wood sidewalks, then they would replace them with concrete sidewalks in the same place. So there could be all kinds of stuff under that sidewalk. I dont think this town would notice a few missing sidewalks, haha.w

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
You are correct. Don't know about all towns but probably most to help keep feet clean when it was just dirt roads.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Congrats!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver!! Hopefully there'll be MANY more to follow!

Continued success!

-- Jeff --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread