First Silver Dollar!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Today is the lowest tide of the year in Seattle so it was only right to get out and do some metal detecting. I met up with my friend Mike and we continued hunting the beach he's been working for the last couple months.

It's really rocky so it takes it out of you quickly. I hadn't found a single coin and had just found some fishing weights and other oddities. After navigating the rocks in the sun and not finding much I was pretty beat. I took a break to eat an apple an decided I'd try for another 30 minutes.

Well, I stand up from my break and within 10 seconds get a 12-33 reading that was fairly repeatable at 3 inches. It doesn't sound like anything special but I'm digging all the repeatable signals on this beach because there aren't many.

After digging in the sand and rocks a little I see the edge of a big black disc in my pile. I know it's too big to be a half dollar so I start yelling "What is that??". Mike came over and I was like dude, tell me what this is. I am hoping to God it's not an Eisenhower and he breaks the news, it's a silver dollar...and a Morgan! 1890-O.

It doesn't look like much after a life in the saltwater but I'm jacked. That's my first silver dollar and now my oldest U.S. coin. Pretty awesome to have Mike there to share the experience too.

We hunted a bit longer but decided to save some of our energy for later this weekend.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1529101312.660099.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1529101324.126032.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1529101333.943039.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting all!
-W

Last edited:
Upvote 69

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like a very awesome coin to me, congrats on the 1st, now can you point to one too?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
BIG congrats. They don’t get any bigger than that. You’ve found some nice coins this year. Well done.

Date and mint mark?

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a BIG sliver! CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a sweet find! Congrats

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never found one of those Morgans so I'm definitely jealous. That's a cool place for a hunt, scarce signals or not it's a nice change of scenery compared to the usual places.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that was fun being there when you found it. I could tell by the tone of your voice you had something good. Then I started freaking out when I saw what you had. Great stuff and major congrats on finding a coin all detectorists dream of. Put her on the nightstand tonight. Let's go get some more!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
She sure is pretty. Congrats :occasion14:

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I never found one of those Morgans so I'm definitely jealous. That's a cool place for a hunt, scarce signals or not it's a nice change of scenery compared to the usual places.

Thanks man, oh it is so different than my normal sidewalk strips. So nice to not be stopped by concerned neighbors once an hour.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Man, that was fun being there when you found it. I could tell by the tone of your voice you had something good. Then I started freaking out when I saw what you had. Great stuff and major congrats on finding a coin all detectorists dream of. Put her on the nightstand tonight. Let's go get some more!

Wouldn't have been the same without having you to share it with! I honestly couldn't see straight when I first picked it up and handed it to you. "Where there's one, there are two!" Yeah man, let's go find more. So fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread