Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bit slow at reporting this but it's been a hectic week.

Labor Day I decided I needed a bit of therapy so headed off to a good friend's old farmhouse to hunt. We left the house later than I planned (I even cleaned toilets first:o) but I figured it would be a short hunt anyhow. The homeowner is an "adopted grandpa" to our kids and a great guy: WW II vet, lost his wife of 53 years last fall and still grieving, and has had medical problems that have made him legally blind and unable to drive. We found him outside weeding and he was a bit down. He cheered up and shared a snack with the kids. I enjoyed catching up with him and didn't worry about the time slipping away. (He's Italian and can really talk!)

So, it was nearly 11 a.m before I finally started swinging the coil. The very first non-iron signal that I chose to dig was my first silver coin, a 1947 Roosevelt dime. Hurray! One small step for MDing, one giant leap for this busy Mom. Anyhow, I felt like I was rewarded for taking the time to renew our special friendship.

Another good thing for the day was I tried a new "digging tool" and it worked slick at cutting plugs. It is a Buck knife I found dropped on our road years ago and stuck away on a high shelf. I couldn't believe how much faster it was than my hand trowel and it made short work of small roots.

I'm eager to return to the farm. There are tons and tons and tons of iron signals but there has to be more coins lurking. I'm not sure how old this place is but I learned our friend has seen pictures of it with a Model T Ford parked in the garage. :)

Cheers and HH!

Attachments

• treasure07 086compress.jpg
    treasure07 086compress.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 350
  • treasure07 155comppress.jpg
    treasure07 155comppress.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 361
  • treasure07 086compress.jpg
    treasure07 086compress.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0

Gulfcapt25

Aug 23, 2007
New Orleans La - The Big Easy-
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Awesome find! Im still waiting for my first silver. If there is one there there should be more. I use the ace 250 also, and have been very happy with my results. Great Job! John

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Congratulations. :) I love old farms. Lot's of iron but also good stuff. It will take some time to hunt that place. Good luck.

Bob

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Congrats on your first silver! I've found silver but not in the form of a coin, still looking though. If there was a Model T there then there is bound to be some pretty old silver lying around...good luck.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Keep pluggin away. Maybe it will pay off something silver. Or at least you'll get to know an old Italian guy better. Sometimes that's worth more then anything you can dig up.
God bless
Muleskinner

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
congrats on the finds. some BUCK knives are quite pricey. if its a nice looking knife you might ruin it digging in the dirt. sounds like a job for a walmart knife.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread