First Silver For December

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Got together with LI TOM this Saturday and as usual we came up with what could be the best possible strategy for finding some silver coins. Considering how little is left out here, I was more than happy with the results. We started at the first park, and despite the cold, slowly but surely I started kicking into gear. Going over and over this one little plot of turf that had coughed up one single merc in the past, I look over at Tom and tell him how nice a sound I was hearing. To my good fortune, a Rosie appears.

We stuck to the original strategy/plan of hopping over to another park at mid-day and after a little lunch we were back at it. I found myself with only one silver and perhaps another forty minutes left of daylight when I heard what sounded like a decent dime, could be wheat signal. It turned out to be a merc. That put me one coin away from the goal that Tom and I established. The weather was totally shot here on Sunday, so I stayed in. But I know I'll be back out soon.

On another note, I totally wrecked what would've been an addition to the token count. It was a pewter type and as soon as I decided to do some field cleaning is as soon as I made it look like pacman. I really regret having done that. Another lesson learned, no field cleaning.

Photos of the clad, garbage and two silver dime haul.

Attachments

• Dec1a.JPG
    Dec1a.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 624
  • Dec1b.JPG
    Dec1b.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 652
Upvote 0

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
congrats on the silver Ricardo! I tried to get out yesterday but the snow was not cooperating with me. I managed maybe 1/2 hour out and decided to call it quits. The ATV guys were circling around on the trails and the Ace 250 display was getting wet and muddy from my hands and did not want to risk shorting something out.

Anyhoo...congrats on getting out there and finding some more nice coinage!

Funkman

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Only an expert can manage to find Silver coins like that, all one has to do is look at your trash to keeper ratio. Thanks for sharing and HH.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8) Congrats on that silver!! 8)

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Another successful day of hunting Rick!It's a rare day since the Explorer came that you don't score a silver coin.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ricardo....man you have become the silver king! You guys are going out and finding it now... Seems when you get out you work it hard and you find some..great work! Our weather here is crappy too! New coil..only been able to take it out once...think I am headed out after work in morning either way... :)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice silver and I've wrecked more than my share of tokens.

Some people think aluminum tokens are all new but back in the mid 1800's it was more valuable than gold.

I got a very large aluminum "Women's Temperance Movement" token that was made ca. 1890 only to completely ruin it by trying to clean it.

Badger

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WTG Ricardo!! Congrats man, you are quite dedicated getting out there still and you where rewarded well, awesome!! Way too cold here for me and our graound is froze hard as a rock already so unless we get a major warm up soon, this season is history for this hunter. You have had a great year buddy, keep it going will you can, good luck!

:) BDoo

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyday....At least that's what I hope :( HH!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Congrats on your silver finds, Ricardo.....any wheats with the silver?

Hit it while you still can!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
So how many Mercs is that for you, like 1,000?????

You seem to have learned the EX better that I have. But I am trying.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Ricardo.
That Merc's looks to be in great shape too.
Congrats,
MM

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Ricardo! I figure Tom is going to buy an Exp real soon :)

I did manage to get out to the "colonial" park I've hunted and hit 2 flat buttons almost right away. I then went to another section where I picked up an IH a while ago. Got a very deep barely audible signal and dug a rather crusty shield nickle. (my first). No date but those are the first nickels made so they're mid to late 1800's.

Joe

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great way to start off the month, Ricardo!

Hopefully I will be able to get back out next week. Maybe we can finally get out!

WTG!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread