HistoryUnearthed

Jun 28, 2015
La Porte County, Indiana and SC Low-country part t
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show, a park is never hunted out.

Starting my second year of detecting and today I was itching to get out. Up north, we have been shut down because of the temperature. Had a little warmup over the last few days and every day, I head out and do the shovel test to see if the ground is till frozen. Went out yesterday because the soil in my yard was diggable, but when I got to this park, still hard as a rock. Figured I would try again today and could only dig down about three inches easily. Decided to go ahead and give it a try and boy was it worth it. Found my first silver of 2016.

1916 Mercury dime (100 years exactly)
1890 Seated dime in excellent shape, possibly AU. Much needed to satisfy my MD fix. Enjoy!

IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4341.JPG IMG_4337.JPG IMG_4342.JPG

Upvote 11
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulation on the fine seated dime recovery. :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I also went out this weekend broke one shovel and next day found a 1921 morgan dollar very happy. This place supposed to be hunted out I keep finding coins Goodjob

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell for sure, but your dime looks like a 1916 D. If it is, that is THE merc dime to find. Could be worth quite a bit. Check it closely my friend!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! I'm with Johncoho. That looks like a 1916D!!! Do not clean it, and post more closeup pics. I'm not a grading expert, but that dime could be $2000+

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HistoryUnearthed

Jun 28, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction. Not thinking. I wasn't looking where the mint mark is supposed to be. It is actually an "S". Sorry about the not so good picture.

Thanks to all the comments. Hopefully 2016 is going to be a great year.

IMG_4343.JPG

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was with the others on the mint mark issue. I could not tell if it was a mint mark or just a spot on the coin. Glad you double checked it. I have found 5 - 1916 Mercs, & every now & then I still check for the D mint mark ( just to make sure it hasnt shown up since I last checked ! ) Maybe one day. Great looking coins though. Nice hunt.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
My heart skipped a bit. I thought it was a 1916d as well before I read everyone's responses. Wow, that got my blood pumping and it isn't even my coin.

Congratz on your first 2 silvers of the year! That seated is in excellent shape!

OP
OP
H

HistoryUnearthed

Jun 28, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention that this is the same park I found an 1875 seated dime as well as a 1940 merc. Don't have the best pictures right now, but found those in mid December. Still amazed that I found 4 silver dimes in about a 50x50 yrd area. Still have a lot of park area to go.

1875 Seated Dime.JPG

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What detector did you use to score those coins? Your CTX3030 or AT Gold? Bet it was the CTX...Correct me if I am wrong...

OP
OP
H

HistoryUnearthed

Jun 28, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector did you use to score those coins? Your CTX3030 or AT Gold? Bet it was the CTX...Correct me if I am wrong...

Hey Newfiehunter, your are correct. In thinking about your question, it makes sense, that is a strength of the CTX. There is trash, but not a ton of it. The CTX does a bang up job in catching the signals. Pretty much only use the CTX now with the AT-Gold for backup.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the s mint is still a good coin. Not what the D would be, but still a nice find. Congratulations. I found a really nice 1875 CC seated in one of our local parks this past summer. Still waiting for the 1916D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread