First silver of the year: a Merc

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Twelve days before Christmas, someone started leaving little treats in a stocking on our light post. These treats coincided with that ridiculous "Twelve Days of Christmas" song, which I hate, but I enjoyed the little gifts each night. We were mystified as to who it might be, and hoped that by the twelfth day they would reveal themselves. Finally, on the tenth day, I had an idea: I'd leave them a treat that night. I gathered five extra Mercs I had from the teens, put them in 2x2's and left them in the stocking with a poem of my own and a pamphlet I made up to solicit hunting opportunities.
When I went out later that night, a treat had been left and the little package of Mercs was taken. Two days later, on Christmas Eve, there was a knock on our door and the mystery family began singing "that song." After they finished, we exchanged pleasantries; they're a nice family and we were delighted to find out it was them. Naturally, the subject of the five Mercs came up; as it turned out, there was one for each member of their family! As I'd hoped, not only were the Mercs perfect for the event, they got me a little business; this morning I detected at their house! The only prize of the morning, ironically, was this 42 Merc; I'll happily turn it over to them.
Over the weekend, I noticed another old house in town that had just gone up for sale, and I happen to know the Realtor selling it. I found out last night that the house in question belongs to the mother of the woman whose family had so kindly given us twelve days of treats. Guess where I'll be heading Wednesday morning? This house has been in the family for sixty years, and never been searched; I'm pretty confident that we'll do better than a 42 Merc! I got to spend the afternoon in warm sunshine at the silver farm, but added just five wheats. It beats looking out the window at snow or frozen ground, and it's supposed to be 67 tomorrow!

Attachments

• eaglemerc (2).jpg
    eaglemerc (2).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and good luck finding more!

Nat

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Great story, Good luck with your hunts. That gives me some ideas for accumulating more properties to hunt. Watching for For Sale signs on old houses might be a good way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread