South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out at first light with MetalHeadz at a site we have been researching for the last few weeks. There are 6 homesites that date from the 1870’s map til around the 1970’s, now forgotten.

It is a mile hike along the old RR tracks then some mountain climbing followed by a half mile of bushwhacking to get to the site we were targeting that morning.

Finally found some random bricks, then the chimney emerged among the trees and remnants of the foundation. Finds for the first couple hours were sparse relics as we loosely worked are way around the foundation.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391641.844484.jpg
8 ounce cork top whiskey bottle, glass purpled.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391685.523610.jpg
Aluminum thimble cool toy spinning top that works amazingly well, will perfectly spin for 90 seconds, early fidget spinner.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391807.200143.jpg

Then I find what Louis and I think is a super rust encrusted canon ball (should have taken a pic, will retrieve on next trip) and this mystery item.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391927.309764.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391936.813823.jpg

We had less than an hour before we had to start hiking out, not enough time to hit the next site. So we decided to work the old access road area to the site we had been working. Mostly shotgun shells and other typical old woods trash signals then I get a perfect 5” deep 27/28 signal, Field2, 20, mid recovery.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547393105.001301.jpg

Yes I’m finally on the board with a 1942 Merc. A couple feet away then a perfect 13 signal and out pops a Silver War Nickel. As I continue to work around this old tree I think there must be big iron or a can buried as another 27/28 signal appears to have moved after I dug the hole by about 12”, but quickly learn that there are multiple silver dimes in this hole! 5 Mercs, 1 War Nickel and 2 Jefferson’s. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547393416.878197.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547393442.363569.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547393458.448563.jpg

Definitely a great way to end a hunt!

Good luck out there!

Upvote 69

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s funny I don’t think any of us don’t stop swinging that coil until we are physically in our vehicles I know I have been late to many appointments/functions due to still hunting and digging signals walking back to my truck. Congratulations on the Silver!!!!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds!! That doesn't happen every day. Do you think it was a spill or a kids hidden treasure ? Five dimes in one hole is odd.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck yeah. Thats a fine way to bump that silver count in a jiffy! Haha. Big congrats and well deserved after making the trek to the spot.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great way to end the hunt recovering that silver spill. I never expected that to happen and I walked right past the area trying to spread out a bit. I'm surprised there wasn't a quarter in there. I found a couple small relics and 2 metal toy guns, nothing crazy. A side note, no mud butts this time :laughing7:

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s funny I don’t think any of us don’t stop swinging that coil until we are physically in our vehicles I know I have been late to many appointments/functions due to still hunting and digging signals walking back to my truck. Congratulations on the Silver!!!!

Thx! Exactly, I was 45 min late from this hunt because of the “one last good signal”

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds!! That doesn't happen every day. Do you think it was a spill or a kids hidden treasure ? Five dimes in one hole is odd.

Thx! Could have been someone taking a break sitting under this big tree 60 years ago, or a favorite tree to climb. Still searching for buried treasure...

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck yeah. Thats a fine way to bump that silver count in a jiffy! Haha. Big congrats and well deserved after making the trek to the spot.

Thx John! Louis and I both agreed that if you had joined us on this hunt you would have sniffed out this spill with your special 6th sense for Mercs. What did you dig last year, 70 or 80 Mercs? Crazy!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the coin spill Thad, that really saved your day!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx John! Louis and I both agreed that if you had joined us on this hunt you would have sniffed out this spill with your special 6th sense for Mercs. What did you dig last year, 70 or 80 Mercs? Crazy!!!

LOL, was definitely a Merc year in 18....

somewhere in that 70-80 range I think. I'll trade them all for your seated...….Deal?

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great way to end the hunt recovering that silver spill. I never expected that to happen and I walked right past the area trying to spread out a bit. I'm surprised there wasn't a quarter in there. I found a couple small relics and 2 metal toy guns, nothing crazy. A side note, no mud butts this time :laughing7:

Thx Louis! I want to keep following that access road up to site 5, we can swing around the big trees as we go, got to be more silvers there once the 5” of snow we got last night melts. I also want to try to hike the canon ball out and do electrolysis on it. What else could it have been, maybe a big shotput. Hopefully not too muddy again up there for our next trip.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the coin spill Thad, that really saved your day!

Thx Steve! Louis and I have found a couple of the old stone cellars in this section of woods and a really deep perfect stone lined well. The cool 1800’s stuff must be there, we just aren’t getting our coils over it yet.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, that must of been fun, Ha, now you'll have to wait for the snow to melt before you can get back there. That would drive me nuts wanting to get back to a place like that, besides knowing you haven't even hit the other site. Good luck in the future when you do get back.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Louis! I want to keep following that access road up to site 5, we can swing around the big trees as we go, got to be more silvers there once the 5” of snow we got last night melts. I also want to try to hike the canon ball out and do electrolysis on it. What else could it have been, maybe a big shotput. Hopefully not too muddy again up there for our next trip.

Sounds good to me. I was thinking if it's indeed a cannon ball that it could've been brought back by a soldier that lived in the woods. I don't believe there were any battles in that area. I hope you remember where you left it.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your "cannonball" could be a mill ball. If it has a flat spot on it, then definitely a mill ball.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt, that must of been fun, Ha, now you'll have to wait for the snow to melt before you can get back there. That would drive me nuts wanting to get back to a place like that, besides knowing you haven't even hit the other site. Good luck in the future when you do get back.

Thx! Taking the kids sledding today, hopefully it melts by next weekend.

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! that's more Mercs in one hole than I got my whole first year, congrats!:notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread