First Silver with my new V3i! And also a couple of whatsits

LostFinder

Nov 16, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Whites Prizm V, Whites Prizm III Bounty Hunter Landstar (Backup)
First Silver with my new V3i! And also a couple of whatsit's

This is my first silver with my new V3i. It's not real old but I am beside myself with the find. I also found the bottom of a gun shell that I could use some help with along with pictures of a " I have no idea". Thanks for looking and I look forward to any help.

The picture of the gun shell bottom has not been cleaned and is hard to read: It says Western at the top, field at the bottom and No. 12. (No. is on the Left side & 12 is on the Right side)

LostFinder

Attachments

• DSC02511.JPG
    DSC02511.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC02534.JPG
    DSC02534.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC02535.JPG
    DSC02535.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC02529.JPG
    DSC02529.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC02519.JPG
    DSC02519.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 420
  • DSC02520.JPG
    DSC02520.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 424
Upvote 0

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Re: First Silver with my new V3i! And also a couple of whatsit's

Your whatsits pictures are harmonica reed pieces. They were the center piece, usually sandwiched between two wood boards, that provided the different sizes of airflow restriction for the harmonicas sound. Being as you're in NC, they could be very old. I have found similar pieces, as have many others, that are Civil War period, but they also can date pre- or post-war, just no good way to do so that I know of. Nice finds!

OP
OP
L

LostFinder

Nov 16, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Whites Prizm V, Whites Prizm III Bounty Hunter Landstar (Backup)

jrsherman said:
Your whatsits pictures are harmonica reed pieces. They were the center piece, usually sandwiched between two wood boards, that provided the different sizes of airflow restriction for the harmonicas sound. Being as you're in NC, they could be very old. I have found similar pieces, as have many others, that are Civil War period, but they also can date pre- or post-war, just no good way to do so that I know of. Nice finds!

Thanks jrsherman. That was my first thought but wasn't sure.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

LostFinder said:
jrsherman said:

kane you didnt know that? you have been around for a while now. willy

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dfx willy said:
LostFinder said:
jrsherman said:

kane you didnt know that? you have been around for a while now. willy
Hey willy just lettin you know that Lostfinder,s Avatar is Bruce Willis its not Kane who uses the same Avatar :laughing7: Nice finds Lostfinder the first silver is always the best :thumbsup: Dd60

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe that "Western field" shotgun brass was Montgomery Wards brand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions