First Silver

loganworks

Greenie
Dec 8, 2004
I'm new to metal detecting this year. I purchased a Excalibur 800 after a lot of research. I wanted it to tie into my other hobby of scuba. The first time out other than in my yard was to an old swimming hole on a river where I grew up in NH. I started searching at the waters edge and spent about 3 hrs searching an area about 15ft X 30ft into about 2 ft of water. My first finds were a few modern pennys. Then there was an intermittent signal, I fanned away the first couple of inches and checked it again. Now there was a good strong high pitched signal. I kept at it and down about 10" there it was on edge between two rocks a 1892 Barber dime. What a first silver find on my first time out.
That was not to be the only silver to be found. I ended up with 3 Mercury dimes and four Nickles from the 1940s along with some clad. To say that it was a great first time out is an understatement. Next spring I will be back to continue the search into deeper water.

Upvote 0
A

AK in KY

Great first find. I say put on a wet suit and start diggn. HH

AK in KY

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
two great hobbys u have there, i been diving 35 years, and metal detecting 25 years, , man that makes me old, :( :o

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, Logan.? My husband wants me to start diving with him, but I think I'll stick to dry land hunting. I already have enough hobbies.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KInda like the water myself,found some real nice items at my river site's.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread