First Silver!

useramg

Apr 11, 2011
Michigan
Well, I haven't had much time to dedicate to CRHing, but I can finally say I did it. I found my first silver in a roll of dimes! It's a 1951 rosie. Photos below.

There is a downside to this story however. After I dumped my dimes at one of my banks, I went to my other bank to pick up some pennies and nickels. After one of the tellers (who I didn't recognize) brought out my coins, one of the more familiar tellers told me they would no longer be able to order me boxes of coins since I "didn't own a business". I didn't argue with her as I will be leaving my current location soon anyway. What do you guys think? Is this something you've experienced before?

Still excited to have my first silver and I'll be checking my other boxes soon!

Adam

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 374
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
fistfulladirt said:
You're hooked! DD i never get tired of that pic

It is an old picture, but I'm too lazy to put my other dimes in a new photo. The half Merc tube ended up getting filled and I filled anther with Mercs. I also have another full Rosie tube. The Barber tube has stayed the same. I need to compose some new eye candy photos. By the way, for those that don't know, every one of those dimes have been found in the wild.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
useramg said:
So no one has an opinion on the issue I stated above?

Adam

Not much you can do. It has happened to me in the past, but I didn't have an account with them. They were just a quick fix for cents and dimes. You have to learn to pick your battles. This one isn't worth it to fight in my opinion. Way too many banks that are willing to supply our habit.

OP
OP
U

useramg

Apr 11, 2011
Michigan
I have an account at both banks (they are the same branch). I guess I was wondering more if they really couldn't order anymore because I didn't own a business or if they just got tired of me after only four boxes.

Adam

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Congrats on your first silver!!!!

Here is to you finding 20 dream boxes!!!!

Don't worry about the bank cuttin you off. There is a good chance you can still score $100 worth of dimes at a time, unless you've got a bunch of mean tellers.

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
useramg said:
I have an account at both banks (they are the same branch). I guess I was wondering more if they really couldn't order anymore because I didn't own a business or if they just got tired of me after only four boxes.

Adam

Did you say these are different banks, but they are the same branch. What does that mean?

Banks don't really make a lot of money dealing in coins, compared to some of their other functions like credit card machines for example. So if you actually own a business, they don't mind offering coin services in addition to all the other services which are money makers for them.. It really doesn't matter that you do or don't operate a business. It matters that you are not making them any money, and that's why they told you that.. Like Diver said, learn to pick your battles.

OP
OP
U

useramg

Apr 11, 2011
Michigan
byrne3 said:
useramg said:

Adam

Did you say these are different banks, but they are the same branch. What does that mean?

Banks don't really make a lot of money dealing in coins, compared to some of their other functions like credit card machines for example. So if you actually own a business, they don't mind offering coin services in addition to all the other services which are money makers for them.. It really doesn't matter that you do or don't operate a business. It matters that you are not making them any money, and that's why they told you that.. Like Diver said, learn to pick your battles.

I may have my terminology wrong. I go to two different banks, but they are the same name, or company I guess you could say.

I definitely agree about the whole picking your battles thing, this one is lost for me.

Also, I understand that they aren't making money off of me, but it just seems like there is a fine line between doing their job and having to do extra work. If it is a customers right to order coins (isn't it?), then they are stopping only because they don't like doing it. And c'mon, not everyone likes everything they do at their job!

Thanks for all the congrats,

Adam

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
useramg said:
Well, I haven't had much time to dedicate to CRHing, but I can finally say I did it. I found my first silver in a roll of dimes! It's a 1951 rosie. Photos below.

There is a downside to this story however. After I dumped my dimes at one of my banks, I went to my other bank to pick up some pennies and nickels. After one of the tellers (who I didn't recognize) brought out my coins, one of the more familiar tellers told me they would no longer be able to order me boxes of coins since I "didn't own a business". I didn't argue with her as I will be leaving my current location soon anyway. What do you guys think? Is this something you've experienced before?

Still excited to have my first silver and I'll be checking my other boxes soon!

Adam
I solve them from using that "excuse" by opening business accounts. My name is a registered trademark for my "brand" of alternative energy products. So when I open a new account, I use my registered trademark name.

Bob

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a bank tell me that theynwould have to charge me to order coins. I told them no thanks and I made them into a dump bank. You can always check with the next bank to see if they will order for you until you leave.....Matt

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver!!! I remember my first silver... a 1956 quarter from a vending machine. When I got that one, I kept putting in 50c and pressing reject but no more silver was in that machine!

I have never had it happen to me, but getting supply banks are harder to find than dump banks. Once a supply bank says the "F" word meaning "fee", they become a dump bank.

I am thinking of asking a bank I am a member of that I never go to (a few times a year) if I could buy a box of nickels and see if they would sell to me. I doubt it, but it's always worth a try. I will not make them a dump bank since they do not have a coin counting machine.

I average 1 war nickel per 2 boxes. Each box of nickels usually contains a buffalo nickel or a war nickel, sometimes both, so I usually average a buffalo nickel every other box as well as a war nickel every other box.

Dimes I am averaging 1 per box of $250

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread