First Sliver find with AT Pro

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a three banded .925 silver ring with my AT Pro, only second time out with it. Found at an deserted high school in town. Only other finds were some clad, but only searched a small area due to time.

image-1884887972.jpg

Upvote 10

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great save. First silver of many I'm sure!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job on ur first silver!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I found my first silver bracelet with my AT Pro last fall at a park. Found my first silver quarter with it last week.

Just being curious, what kind of a signal did your AT Pro give when you were over this ring? The silver bracelet I found was a repeatable and solid 67.

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure that bracelet is Sterling? A 67 would seem to be way off to me? Any silver I find is always in the mid eighties.
Congrats! I found my first silver bracelet with my AT Pro last fall at a park. Found my first silver quarter with it last week.

Just being curious, what kind of a signal did your AT Pro give when you were over this ring? The silver bracelet I found was a repeatable and solid 67.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For me, gold/nickel/some aluminum rings in at a solid 53.

I have yet to find anything worthwhile in the late 50s through early 70s.

Pennies (zinc or otherwise) ring in 77-79. Haven't yet found anything older than a wheat to compare.

Clad dimes ring in at 80-83.

Clad quarters ring in at 85-87.

All silver finds for me have come in at 88+, usually into the early 90s.

Late 90s hits almost always turn out to be can slaw.

If you're getting a silver bracelet at 67, I doubt it's good silver. Might be plated or alloy. I feel compelled to mention that my ground mineralization is in the 75-85 range and that's probably why I get the VDIs I get for these metals.

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the ballpark with all your numbers except I'm hitting pennies anywhere from 73 to 78. That 67 number kinda baffles me because even if its copper with silver plating it should be hitting higher than 67???

Pennies (zinc or otherwise) ring in 77-79. Haven't yet found anything older than a wheat to compare.

If you're getting a silver bracelet at 67, I doubt it's good silver. Might be plated or alloy. I feel compelled to mention that my ground mineralization is in the 75-85 range and that's probably why I get the VDIs I get for these metals.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is the bracelet that came in at a solid 67. I just now laid it out on the floor, folded up in different ways, and ran my detector over it with the sensitivity all the way down. It was consistently reading 63-67. I also did this to a sterling silver ring that I found last year, it was a solid 80 every time. There is a good chance that the bracelet must be a low quality metal like you mention.

I get almost exactly the same numbers that you listed above. I found one of those new presidential dollar coins a few months ago, it was a solid 90 on my machine. Sometimes a badly corroded zinc penny will be in the upper 60s/low 70s. A 10k gold ring was in the 47/48 range, where usually I just find foil and other trash. I found a standing liberty quarter sandwiched with a buffalo nickle a few weeks ago, about 8 to 10 inches down. It was a signal in the upper iron range that bounced around a bit. Seems like the longer things have been in the ground, the deeper they are, and when there are multiple item together, the numbers can be way off.

2012-11-22 19.23.08.jpg

Last edited:

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the bracelet that came in at a solid 67. I just now laid it out on the floor, folded up in different ways, and ran my detector over it with the sensitivity all the way down. It was consistently reading 63-67. I also did this to a sterling silver ring that I found last year, it was a solid 80 every time. There is a good chance that the bracelet must be a low quality metal like you mention.

I get almost exactly the same numbers that you listed above. I found one of those new presidential dollar coins a few months ago, it was a solid 90 on my machine. Sometimes a badly corroded zinc penny will be in the upper 60s/low 70s. A 10k gold ring was in the 47/48 range, where usually I just find foil and other trash. I found a standing liberty quarter sandwiched with a buffalo nickle a few weeks ago, about 8 to 10 inches down. It was a signal in the upper iron range that bounced around a bit. Seems like the longer things have been in the ground, the deeper they are, and when there are multiple item together, the numbers can be way off.

View attachment 814858

I don't think I've found any presidential dollars yet but I know what you mean... sometimes, iron and aluminum will ring in the high 80s to 90s but only if the metal is dense (well made and not corroded) or large and close to the surface. Large copper almost always rings high for me, while small copper (like wheats and older Memorials) ring in the high 70s. Since brass is a copper alloy it makes sense that a presidential dollar will ring high like that. I bet the SLQ/Buffalo read low bc of the proximity of the Buffalo 5c. Sometimes nearby metal signatures will interfere with each other. Also, if the Buffalo was on top, it might have masked the SLQ's signal.

Question, though... you said you've found gold. Gold for me is a solid 53, like nickel, but when you got that 10k ring at 47, was it a solid 47 or did it bounce around a lot?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most the Silver rings I have found with the AT pro hit dead on a Quarter 88-89....I think the numbers vary depending on soils and stuff...but I can say, that i found a Silver ring the was still round, but was hit buy a lawnmower, so it was broken, and it read as a 69?....So i thought it might be junk, but sure as shii, it tested postive...So i think you do have Silver there for sure, its just the way the ring is shaped. I dont know how people can even find necklaces/bracelets....I put one on the ground one, just to see how it read, and it just bounced around, and pretty gave me a signal i wouldnt ever dig....Great Find man!..there is more to come.

And to touch on the Gold...90 percent of the gold i have found, read DEAD ON 53, which is a nickel, But i had 2 rings that read below 50, and one that read 60. Im guessing its the circumference or something..who knows!

HAPPY HUNTIN!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the ring that I found last fall. It was a repeatable 47, and was only down maybe an inch or so I have never tested it to see if it is real 10k gold or not, so there is always a possibility that it is a fake. It is also the only gold ring that I have found since purchasing my AT Pro last October, so I have nothing to compare it to. A 52/53 is almost always a nickle, or sometimes a tab off a soda can. The soda can tabs sometimes bounce around to the upper 50s, which is usually a dead giveaway. The rings, coins, and soda tabs all pinpoint the same as well.

2012-11-22 19.25.51.jpg

The buffalo was on top of the SLQ, which was pretty much masking the signal of the SLQ. That's why you dig everything at an old homesite! Here is a pic of the quarter still showing the corrosion mark from the nickle. 2013-06-09 19.23.45.jpg

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the past few posts, the signals i was getting with my atpro seem to make more sense now. Thanks!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the ring that I found last fall. It was a repeatable 47, and was only down maybe an inch or so I have never tested it to see if it is real 10k gold or not, so there is always a possibility that it is a fake. It is also the only gold ring that I have found since purchasing my AT Pro last October, so I have nothing to compare it to. A 52/53 is almost always a nickle, or sometimes a tab off a soda can. The soda can tabs sometimes bounce around to the upper 50s, which is usually a dead giveaway. The rings, coins, and soda tabs all pinpoint the same as well. The buffalo was on top of the SLQ, which was pretty much masking the signal of the SLQ. That's why you dig everything at an old homesite! Here is a pic of the quarter still showing the corrosion mark from the nickle.

Yeah, I don't dig any 53 unless it's a solid repeatable 53 (I will dig it, if it goes 52-53 but not if it goes 53-54). Interesting about the gold signal, though. When I tested my MD with gold I used my friend's wedding band, I forget if it was 10k or 14k, and I even once tested my 14k white gold wedding band, and both rings rang in a solid 53. Of course, this was all above ground and not mixed with soil mineralization and the like.

Another thing I've noticed lately... the AT Pro is designed to be swung at about 1 m/s, which is a full swing across your path every second. You get a good signal output at that swing speed and I do find coinage with it. However, sometimes when I swing at that speed I get little high-note blips that aren't consistent (and that I pass over). Then, when I go back and swing very slow, maybe a quarter of that speed, those high-note blips seem to be more consistent. Now I understand the meaning of "swinging low and slow".

I have two sites coming up in the next month or so... one is a century-old single home in Pottstown, PA, and the other is a duplex home on old ground in Whitpain Twp., PA. I've been meaning to hit those areas for months now but I'm very glad I waited bc when I go there now, it will be with a far better understanding of my MD.

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
Here's my ring finds since the beginning of 2012. All the gold rings are in the second photo. My rule with the at pro is to dig every signal between 45 and 65. I have found gold in this range. For the most part gold is a consistent number in this range and dose not waver much. There have been a few exceptions though due to trash or soil. I have severe gold fever and that's what gets me past the buckets of pull tabs and can slaw. Another bonus to this range is that I live in Murfreesboro tn, battle of stones river and find buttons in this range also. So I dig it all. Good luck.

Attachments

• image-2467774087.jpg
    image-2467774087.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3810163061.jpg
    image-3810163061.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 84

cedar6712

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my ring finds since the beginning of 2012. All the gold rings are in the second photo. My rule with the at pro is to dig every signal between 45 and 65. I have found gold in this range. For the most part gold is a consistent number in this range and dose not waver much. There have been a few exceptions though due to trash or soil. I have severe gold fever and that's what gets me past the buckets of pull tabs and can slaw. Another bonus to this range is that I live in Murfreesboro tn, battle of stones river and find buttons in this range also. So I dig it all. Good luck.

Very nice assortment of rings. You obviously know your stuff. Being from Murfreesboro, are you acquainted with Larry Hicklen?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread