First SLQ....1877 CC Carson City...Really?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My fourth visit to permission school house and I find a neat little star doohickey and then I find a silver coin! It sure is sweet to dig and feel and dig and pull that shiny silver out the soft brown dirt. My heart leaps. I see it is a seated liberty and I comprehend that it is a bit larger than the only other coin similar to this which was a seated liberty dime. It is a silver quarter in excellent condition. I notice the year....1877...the year this school was founded! The coin looks to be in great shape. Then I think....this coin is meant to be with this school and my heart sort of sinks at the idea of not "having" it in my collection as my first SLQ. I look the coin up and find that it has a CC mint mark which I had never heard of.."Carson City"...which in itself is surrounded with some mystery.
Collection of Carson City quarter a mystery - Numismatic NewsNumismatic News
Over 4,000,000 minted....but now I want to keep it even MORE and rationalize that it would be sitting in an empty building with few visitors who wouldn't appreciate it.....and what will happen to the building eventually anyways...? Maybe I can "will it" to them. Maybe I can create something with images of it that can be sold to raise funds..I feel conflicted with my materialistic "want to own it" and my spiritual "want to give it" sides... I am grateful for the experience and permission and story that it generated! I wonder if it was dropped at a school opening the year it opened? I wonder if someone buried it on purpose? Maybe after spending some time with it, it will be easier to give up! Then again.....??? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351690.351342.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351714.272897.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351730.324769.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351742.565869.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351752.310662.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351765.630292.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351780.961625.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507351793.000696.jpg

Upvote 38
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In 30 years, I've never found a Carson City anything, very nice.

Hi sprailroad..
Thank you. Honestly,I had never heard of it until I looked up the 1877 date...then checked the back of the coin.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Lady has been waiting for you for a long time. If there is any duty involved, it is for you to have and hold and relate her past to those interested. If it were me, it would be love at first sight.

Another interesting perspective. The story can be ongoing instead of finished. Thank you!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not sure of any prior agreement with the property owner for turning the good finds over to them. If it were me I would have made an exception for first finds. Perhaps if you are torn in your spirit as to what to do you can replace it with another similar example off Ebay. It will cost you a pretty "penny" as your coin is a real stunner!

Personally I would make sure to clarify the first finds as going to my collection of goods prior to hunting a permission. I can only imagine finding that sweet old coin and having to give it away. I'd be "torn" too! I'll leave a link on a fine example off Ebay. They aren't cheap to get them in the same condition as yours. Very nice recovery.:headbang:

1877-CC SEATED LIBERTY QUARTER - NICE SOLID XF PRICED RIGHT! | eBay

Wow! Thanks Kurios1. That's interesting to know and might be my most valuable find thus far! I thought about a "replacement" coin to give, but really it defeats the point of an authentic find at the schoolhouse and I wouldn't want to keep the purchased one either. Selling doesn't interest me either.

I have gone on a few permissions and no one has asked for anything, even after I have shown the finds. I have offered a couple but they graciously said I could keep them!

Thanks for responding. I was Kurios as to your input!

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a great find. A photo collage of your finds would be sufficient for historical purposes. The coin itself is only a part of it. Put on display there it would overlooked and simply passed by without notice. Your personal appreciation would be far greater than public interest. Of course each of us must follow our own individual code or conscience. Perhaps a donation in lieu of the coin.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It s a great coin recovery for sure! Congrats.

Side note - when people say "SLQ" it is normally meant to refer to a "Standing Liberty Quarter". What you dug is usually just called a "Seated", as in "I dug a seated quarter today"

Thank you, Jason. I appreciate knowing that it is called a seated quarter! I have seen a lot of SLQs and incorrectly thought it meant "seated liberty quarter". Still learning :). I don't think I can edit my title though I wish I could correct that now.

I have not found a true SLQ then....Still on my bucket list ;).

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on a great find. A photo collage of your finds would be sufficient for historical purposes. The coin itself is only a part of it. Put on display there it would overlooked and simply passed by without notice. Your personal appreciation would be far greater than public interest. Of course each of us must follow our own individual code or conscience. Perhaps a donation in lieu of the coin.

The photo collage is a great idea...or even a shutterfly book! I have made a couple of donations this year....and I suspect another is in order [emoji4]. You've got me thinking!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the dilemma.
Our agreements are normally pretty clear prior to detecting. However, when we show them everything, if they show a particular interest (which you judge at the time), then I may do what I call 'a sacrifice'. It hurts me as a collector to hand it over but it's the right move. Like a recent Roman Chicken Brooch (only one I had found) which went to the landowners daughter who runs a chicken farm.
You could always blow up pictures of it & do a little story, that may get more interest than a small coin in a cabinet.
If you show them & no interest, you can rest easy. (Remember to tell them how important it is to you and why)

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be keeping it if I were you. That is one beautiful looking coin. It didnt have anything to do with the school itself, only as an association situation. No one else will appreciate it like you do. If you were to give it to them, it would probably be lost for another 100 years ! If it were mine, it would be holding a proud place in my collection, with no guilt attached !

Trentonfrank

Sep 7, 2017
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you appreciate this coin more than the owners of the school house. I found a thin gold wedding band in a farm field last year. I showed it to the land owners and they said it wasn't theirs but maybe it was their grandfathers. I really wanted them to keep it, I practically insisted they take it and they declined. His exact words were, "it probably isn't worth much". Made me sort of sad but some people only see monetary value in things where as most diggers see the "story" behind each item we dig.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand the dilemma.
Our agreements are normally pretty clear prior to detecting. However, when we show them everything, if they show a particular interest (which you judge at the time), then I may do what I call 'a sacrifice'. It hurts me as a collector to hand it over but it's the right move. Like a recent Roman Chicken Brooch (only one I had found) which went to the landowners daughter who runs a chicken farm.
You could always blow up pictures of it & do a little story, that may get more interest than a small coin in a cabinet.
If you show them & no interest, you can rest easy. (Remember to tell them how important it is to you and why)

Thanks, CRUSADER...I have avoided being clear about keeping finds because I thought that would look like I expect to find something valuable...but, like you, have shown the finds. Actually, I avoided detecting public places and avoided permissions for a while too (sticking to yard and woods)....but since I have ventured out, it has been surprisingly easy. Yesterday's "sacrifice" was a large feather that I found and kept whole by sticking it in my hair. We both had feather collections but this one went to Sister and I did already have a similar feather, so not too hard to give up ;). Your Roman Chicken Brooch sounded so appropriate for daughter, but must have been hard...yet, the good will and good feeling is a strong and lasting memory in itself. I was soooooo hoping to find two 1877 nickels (what are the chances, right)? But I am not done checking it out. Thanks for your interest.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you appreciate this coin more than the owners of the school house. I found a thin gold wedding band in a farm field last year. I showed it to the land owners and they said it wasn't theirs but maybe it was their grandfathers. I really wanted them to keep it, I practically insisted they take it and they declined. His exact words were, "it probably isn't worth much". Made me sort of sad but some people only see monetary value in things where as most diggers see the "story" behind each item we dig.

I hear you. That bond and connection to the past has more lasting importance than monetary value. I am surprised that if they thought it might be their grandfather's that they didn't keep it...but you certainly went out of your way to give them the opportunity to have it. The property I searched yesterday was rather large and was near a field...I found it quite daunting and really just haphazardly walked around hoping to hit something. I will post soon.. but no old coins or buttons which is what I had in mind (and Barber intention...also a bust). Thanks for sharing your story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread