First Sluice .. choices choices choices

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Obviously by the title I'm a newbie however I've been reading each and every review possible about the different types of sluices from the A52 to Angus Mackirk and the newer trend bazooka which I think is a neat idea however I haven't heard of too many people using them....

I already know I spend a little too much time researching making my decision harder and not easier.. I'm willing to spend up to $200, I live in WA where I hear it's mostly very fine to flour. The options I'm weighing out are - A52, bazooka prospector, Angus au trap "forman", or the Angus Eureka...

Which one and why?

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also check out the California Sluice Box Company drop riffle sluices. I have a few of them, with one set up as a power sluice with a 2200 gph pump. I really like them. They catch fine gold, are super light weight, and are a whole lot easier to do a clean up on than a standard sluice with matting, carpet, etc. I like them so well i sold my last aluminum standard sluice. Ohh. And they are a lot less than $200. Less than $100.

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice, I'll check it out! Is there anything negative about a drop rifle setup vs rifle?

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that i have found. I really like them. But different sluices have their place in different conditions.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Le Trap--no carpets,light and ez to carry and holds pounds and price ain't bad either and NO I am retired so hype to pick your pocket-John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Le Trap--no carpets,light and ez to carry and holds pounds, price ain't bad either and I am retired so NO hype to pick your pocket-John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Le Trap--no carpets,light and ez to carry and holds pounds, price ain't bad either and I am retired so NO hype to pick your pocket-John

John don't you find the LeTrap rather flimsy...they seem to warp while in the stream too much for my taste...no?

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
The drop riffle designs are good in many conditions and catch fine gold. They clean out in 2 seconds and are made of durable plastic. The riffle style sluices such as the keene or proline use a slick plate before ribbed matting then have expanded metal and riffles, with carpet or miners moss. The bazooka is a different animal. Probably your best bet but requires specific water flow. I use a keene a51. You can run it fast or slow and with carpet, moss, or ribbed under the riffles. I have noticed very little with gold retention from one sluice to another. The bazooka is nice because it runs lots of material very fast. With little water the sluice is useless.

If i were you i would get whatever sluice you can afford or one that keeps your confidence up. From there i recommend getting into classifying material . This is the real secret of prospecting..CLASSIFY dam it. You will retain more gold classifying... Period

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using an Angus McKirk Explorer. For one or two people it seems just about fine, plus it fits in a bucket for clean up.

EDIT TO ADD: A main reason I went with the explorer is the two riveted metal flats over the top, which allows you to place some decent rocks on them to hold the sluice down without flexing the ABS. Which as Kevin mentioned above is a concern for some drop riffle sluices.

Here is my review on it:

This was taken a bit before the popularity of the Bazooka, and I'm looking to get my hands on one! I think they will become my new favorite since I won't have to classify, which is my least favorite thing to do!

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm seriously considering buying the bazooka prospector however just so I know, are there any advantages of the Angus your using vs. the Angus AU trap?

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seriously considering buying the bazooka prospector however just so I know, are there any advantages of the Angus your using vs. the Angus AU trap?

The Explorer fully fits into a bucket for cleanup. Unless I'm mistaken the AU Trap is too wide at either end to fit. Correct me if I am wrong. Which makes cleanup a bit more complicated.

Also, since I can't see feeding a drop riffle with a shovel (I use a trowel) even with classified material the AU just looks like more weight for no more production. Again, just my opinion.

Drawman

Jul 17, 2013
Central Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been using an Angus McKirk Explorer. For one or two people it seems just about fine, plus it fits in a bucket for clean up.

EDIT TO ADD: A main reason I went with the explorer is the two riveted metal flats over the top, which allows you to place some decent rocks on them to hold the sluice down without flexing the ABS. Which as Kevin mentioned above is a concern for some drop riffle sluices.

^^^THIS^^^

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which is exactly what I do to the Le Trap for added ridigity.-John

Attachments

• LE TRAP 2+ LB AU.JPG
    LE TRAP 2+ LB AU.JPG
    668 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the Angus(Recon) for low flow creeks/Bazooka(Super Mini or Prospector) when there is more then enough. I've had LeTraps and their good but bulky(won't fit in a pack and flimsy) BTW, Jobe does make a portable sluice stand for the LeTrap that solves the "flimsy" issue.

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just placed my order for the BGT Prospector -- very spendy so I really hope everyone is right... I almost bought the AM Expedition and I still might if I have bad water flow... excited yet very nervous.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just placed my order for the BGT Prospector -- very spendy so I really hope everyone is right... I almost bought the AM Expedition and I still might if I have bad water flow... excited yet very nervous.
You made a excellent choice. Don't be afraid to run it fast, deep and steep as the normal sluice set-up rules do not apply to this thing. Also. make sure you keep the tailing piles from building up near the fluid bed at the end of the run because it will effect performance. Astrobouncer has great bazooka vids., welcome to the club.

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your purchase, from what I have been seeing on the bazookas I think I'm going to start saving for one myself.

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might also check out the California Sluice Box Company drop riffle sluices. I have a few of them, with one set up as a power sluice with a h2200 gph pump. I really like them. They catch fine gold, are super light weight, and are a whole lot easier to do a clean up on than a standard sluice with matting, carpet, etc. I like them so well i sold my last aluminum standard sluice. Ohh. And they are a lot less than $200. Less than $100.

Back when I FIRST got started I had a California sluice box highbanker that I believe was called the "stream sluice".
I set it up with a 2500GPH bilge pump and made a recirculating sluice. I found the riffles to pack up VERY quickly. Possibly because I was running dirty water through it but my next purchase was a normal Hungarian riffle sluice which I felt handled material a lot better. IMHO drop riffles are best for cleanup as to ME it seemed like the amount of material they could process was weak.
Again this was my first piece of equipment so it's possible I just didn't know WTF I was doing but I personally won't purchase another one. Kind of a first impression thing I guess. On the flip side I know people that have them and like them. I figured I'd chime in and add next to nothing cause I saw " California sluice".
It's 100% possible I was just trying to run too much material too fast hence the reason I got into dredges..
Ugh ugh ( Tim Allen ) more power!

Last edited:

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The riffles on a drop riffle sluice are supposed to stay full. That is how they work. As long as the material is bubbling around it is fine. The heavy stuff falls to the bottom and the lighter stuff rises to the top of the riffle and is washed off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread