:) First, sorry if this doesnt belong here...could this be some kind of fossil?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) First, sorry if this doesn't belong here...could this be some kind of fossil?

...I have this posted in the rock forum and it was suggested that I try it here.....what do you guys think? It's 2 inches long, full of little lumps on the outside, rock heavy, don't see any agate on it, has a fiber looking center and a knot/knob on each end. Thought is was a concretion but is it? Help....:dontknow:

RSCN7415.JPG RSCN7416.JPG RSCN7418.JPG RSCN7414.JPG RSCN7417.JPG

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure reminds me of some type of fossil corral CK...maybe someone closer to your area may have seem them before.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe TJE...thanks for answering & giving a suggestion on it...will go google pics to see what they look like...:)

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I don't think this is a coral, kat. My best guess is that this is a concretion of silica that formed around something organic. In other words, there was a buried fossil at the core of the concretion. There is a complicated chemical process in which the decomposing organics attract available silica (and other minerals) from surrounding matrix.

Here is a Mississippian brachiopod in which this process is incomplete:
geodebrachiopod.jpg

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: yaaaahhhh...it's Harry! Thanks for taking a peek at this, so you think concretion....that's what I first thought. Do find them, but this is the first with "bumps" & a large fiber like thing in the center, usually it's only a tiny speck. I tried it on another site also to see what they said, so far sponge, pinecone, coral....is there such a thing as fossil fruit? I'm still a little stumped about the "knobs" on each end, would/do concretions have that & what are they...maybe will take pics of the ends....just in case...thanks so much Harry for showing up! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread