first standing liberty quarter (1929)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Sorry, no digital camera here, but I found my first standing liberty quarter today at a great old swimming hole site in upstate NY that has never been detected (in a small town, on private property, abandoned for years and I only learned about it from my mother in law who swam there decades ago). The reason I'm certain it's never been checked is because I've found coins, including 8 silver from 1920s through 50s and many other coins in a very small area of land. Just when I think I've found everything, I find another. Most importantly, I had a great time detecting with a good dude who I met on this forum. We both shared laughs over our mutual stories about the concerns of our respective wives had about us going to detect with some stranger. His wife was concerned about a "psycho seriel killer" and my wife said the same (plus she had to jab me with "do I have to be concerned you are meeting with strange men over the Internet?"). The lesson here was, we had a great time, learned a little about each other and our families, had a nice lunch (I made). There are some genuinely nice people out there if you make the effort. Not only that, but he gave me a very nice, sturdy underwater scoop that he made and lent me some equipment to use today. For those out there overly worried about protecting your sites, you will be much richer for sharing your knowledge and detecting opportunity with others and the friendship that comes with it. I'm not suggesting you post directions here for all to see, but take one or two people with you. It's very rare that any of us will find anything "life changing" in terms of finances from things found in the ground, so don't waste the opportunity to have some truly meaningful times with others who enjoy this hobby. Stepping down from the soap box...

Upvote 0

jc2

Sep 18, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE w/SunRay X1 Probe, Sovereign Elite w/SunRay S1 Probe, Garrett Infinium LS and the Tesoro Cortes'
Nicely said . . .and your absolutely right, my wife said the same :)

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I'd have to add that if the person is older than 30, still lives with mom and likes to harm small animals, then you might take a pass on meeting up with them. :-)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find Bergie! Old money is the coolest! Good story. My GF was asking me about that very same thing. I guess women really do think alike :D

N

neu

nuce find, wish i could find something other than old farm relics, found a few civil war, nothing special, just musket balls and the like, a belt buckle. never found coinage or jewlrey worth anything.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Perfectly said Bergie ! The coins are secondary to finding a good friend that enjoys the same things you do. I have asked a few people that live near me to hook up, but have yet to do so. Good luck and HH !

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Great find!! I still have yet to find a silver coin, found alot of interesting stuff from the early 1900's but no silver, I figure if I keep at it my luck will eventually turn. HH!!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well DigginD, i doubt that he took that encounter as a propostion for something other than MDing. Most likely he was running the scenario thru his mind of what would happen when he went to his wife telling her that he exchanged phone numbers with a female stranger he met in a park and wanted to go off treasure hunting with her.?

If that happened to me, i would politely decline your offer for the simple fact that if i went to my girlfriend with a story like that, some future THer would end up digging what was left of me out of a hole :D
?
I think this would probably be the same?case for many of the guys on here.
?
It was nice that you extended the offer to him none the less 8)

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Way to go Bergie! Those Standing Liberties are not so common-- they weren't minted very long. The only one I ever found was by sniping on the beach, and it had rolled around so long it took me an hour of looking at it to finally determine that's what it was.

DigginD, You're welcome to come detecting with me anytime, provided you're willing to relocate to the Los Angeles area! I'd consider going to Ohio, but don't imagine I could do that without giving up scuba diving... and I'd really miss the beaches!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey Diggin D,

I'm a 42 yr old single mom in SC. Glad to hear that you are in the game too. It's definitely not so much a womens hobby. Hope you hook up with a partner soon. For now, I like searching on my own, but later I may join a club.

Happy Hunting!

Cindy (Moon)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
SWM 45 awesome good looker and macho as the day is long. With a back as hairy as an ape and rooting claws for fingernails. Grunts loudly during gold ring recoveries. Looking for detecting partner, must dig diggin'. Preferably gorgeous female from anywhere but I have to ask my wife if it's okay first. Oh here she is now...
no dear I wasn't..
but I..
honey...

doh! OWWW!

Love those SLQ's! Great find and even better sounding site!

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ok, here's a wrap up report. I've been to this swimming hole site (creek) about 10 times (including with True_Metal the past two times), the last being today. I am moving on to other sites, because I thrive on the new adventures. We continued to find wheaties today, but no more silver. We are convinced we've found all or nearly all (never say, all, I know) of the silver. It's a relatively small area. My estimate of the total take on this site is about 15 silver coins from 1930-50s, including the standing Lib. quarter noted in this string, most others are liberty dimes, regular quarters in silver, and I found one silver Roosvelt dime (didn't realize there were a few years of those, this was '46). In addition, we found lots of other coins (mostly wheat pennies) and some other cool stuff such as a silver baby spoon stamped 1847. We hit a new spot today, another swimming hole that's very interesting. It was a swimming hole in a creek around 50s or so and at some point the community built a dam and turned it into a swimming pool with lifeguards and everything. We found this place in the middle of nowhere and it's like the place time forgot. There's still the lifeguard chair that looks like it's been sitting there for 25 years. There are two "overhangs" of wood like cabannas or snack stands. We started detecting a grassy hill next to the pool area (pool now filled in, except the steps coming up from nowhere to the grass. Bang! We started hitting coin after coin. Clearly it had never been detected. This place is really in the boonies. We were hitting quarters, dimes and more pennies than I thought were on Earth, but no silver. Finally, we decided to head out with no silver, but I'm sure there's at least a few there. We'll try it again. Needless to say, we were spoiled by the other site and should have been pleased with the new site. It's very cool finding these out of the way places that time forgot.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm convinced that there is probably more silver to be found in that spot. We hit pretty good, but as said before on this forum hat you just cant get it all. My oldest coin finds, was a 1912 wheatie and in silver a 1917 Merc dime. The spoon was cool but were unsure if that is actully a date and not part of the makers label.

The new pool holds promise. It's as if a brinks truck exploded on the site because of all the coins! At one point i got disgusted because the coins are so close together and numerous i could not pinpoint a coin. It was like i was sweeping over a giant piece of aluminum siding, just one big continous signal. I finally told Bergie to have at it as he is running a 5" coil and i only have a 10" and just could not isolate only one coin to dig it.
We will have to get back out there and really comb the place as it dates back to the 50's and maybe before. I'm sure there is some silver there, i can feel it.

Big thumbs up to Bergie on his research as no one could ever find this place unless they did their homework.

serb535

Sep 10, 2004
cleveland ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm III
hey DigginD, glad to see someone else here from ohio! i live in fairview park and have been doing some detectiong around here too, i also went ot huntington beach, i dug so much junk i gave up, plus my hunting partner gave up on me and wanted to go play.....but i guess, since hes only four! my son and i also went to bolken park after summer fest, found some coins, but my son had fun with his detector too! lots of surface coins from the rides. i'm not sure when i can get oout next cuz we just bought a house here and have plenty to do the near future, house was built in 1926 so i WILL be detecting around it! plus it good practice for digging plugs! also had some luck over at hinckley lake (sp) at the swimming hole...i also have a permit for the metro parks maybe we can sneek a few hours in some weekend before the s*#w comes..... >:( the clock is ticking will have to trade in detector for shovel....

H

HMet

I agree DigginD, I too am female and find it totally un-nerving to detect in an isolated area alone. Too many nuts out there today and if they think for one minute that you may have found some valuables and have them on you.............well, it's too scary to be female and detecting alone. Sorry Im so far away!

serb535

Sep 10, 2004
cleveland ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm III
hey DigginD, i didn't get into the water, we were at the damn where the lake drains, the kids went simming and i just poked around, it was suppose to be a family day but going all the way out there i had to try it. plus my wife likes it that i use it instead of just buying it to have around! i'm saving up for another one now and i just found out that whites makes a pee-wee rod kit for my detector, so i can shorten it up for my son to use. i also have a very promising spot in berea, my sister-in-laws parents have a house that was built in 1850, and her dad tony also likes to metal detect so digging in the yard won't be a problem! they own the old baldwin house, i guess theres alos a college named after the guy(baldwin)

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Heading out on an adventure this morning along with True_Metal (Rob) to check the other side of the creek on this swimming hole where we found lots of silver such as the standing liberty quarter mentioned. There was a very old bridge over the creek (no longer there except stone foundation and ramps) that went to farmland on the other side and we are hitching up the waders and going over to the other side for the first time. We also now have a digital camera, so later we'll post a photo of all our silver finds at this site so far (hopefully with some new ones today). Biggest concern is falling into the creek with our detectors. If anyone didn't read it from yesterday's posts, Rob ran into a Black Bear about 400lbs and just 100 feet away while detecting alone at a different site yesterday. His voicemail to me was classic. Something like: "holy f_ck, dude, I ran into a big black bear..." Maybe that bear didn't want Rob taking silver from his land. :-) We have a great (very minor) Rev. War skirmish site we are checking Wed. on private property. There is an historic marker, well documented, as to the exact location where a particular general was shot and killed and we have permission to search around one of the private homes/woods right at this location. It involved about 200-300 good guys/militia and about the same or more of British troops. I'll send a link with more info on the history if we can back it up with finds on Wed. Good luck to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread