First Teller Tray finds!

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at my bank, dumping some skunky nickels when I look over in the teller tray to check for silver. Staring back at me is a 90% half dollar rim, and I asked to get the half dollars back as part of my dump cash. The teller then explains to me that it looks like there's a couple silvers in that amount I got back ($8) and how he always looks through coins when he has time and pulls the silver out. While he's telling me this I'm thinking that I'm glad this is already my dump bank! I've never found any coins in a teller tray before, and it was really hard to keep from jumping up and down in the bank. But now I'm rambling, on to the results!

There was the 90% that I saw initially, turned out to be a 1964 Ken, and within the bunch was a 1966 40%. For 8 dollars, I'm quite happy with the results.

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have yet to find a 90%er in circulation, in a box or in a teller tray before. I have found 2 40%ers in teller trays before though. Nice going! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to find a 90%er in circulation, in a box or in a teller tray before. I have found 2 40%ers in teller trays before though. Nice going! :icon_thumright:

Thanks! I hope you find one soon, what kind of volume do you do?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! I hope you find one soon, what kind of volume do you do?

Very low. I am a college student who is currently taking a break from work, so I am lucky to do a box a week. I usually try to switch it up and do a few loose rolls or different denominations. I do what I can, when I can though. Most of my banks are some high volume searcher's dump bank, so finds are few and far between.

Hopper39

Oct 1, 2011
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just scored my first tray silver on Friday - a '52 quarter. The feeling of spotting that rim was pretty nice. Nice switch up from roll finds; I wouldn't mind doing it more often.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just scored my first tray silver on Friday - a '52 quarter. The feeling of spotting that rim was pretty nice. Nice switch up from roll finds; I wouldn't mind doing it more often.

Nice find! Still looking for my first silver quater, and it's really just the luck of the draw for teller trays. I'm starting to keep an eye out though.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! Still looking for my first silver quarter, and it's really just the luck of the draw for teller trays. I'm starting to keep an eye out though.

Most tellers keep their trays where I can't see them, so I can't rim check. I did used to roll hunt at my job with quarters... I found 2 silver quarters while I was doing that (a '47-D and and a '63) within about 7 months of each other...

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my silver halves come from teller trays. Don't find as much in boxes

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my favorite teller tray find was when i pulled up to the drive thru and asked for half dollars. the teller held up three dollars worth of halves from her tray and said this is all i have. she turned them sideways and i could see one was silver. i bought them all and ended up with 1 40%er. h.h.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread