First Texas getting sloppy with the Fisher detectors

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to upgrade and hunt mostly salt water sand beaches. Probably won't go in over my waist.
Any suggestions? Only been in the hobby about 10 months and use a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger with good success in the dry sand and turf. thanks and good luck on your hunts!

pdunc

Aug 28, 2007
Maine
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Sandman, While I respect your experience and opinion, I don't know that the Excal is a better machine than the CZ-20. Very different machines and a matter of user preference. Both have had their problems and followers. I had a CZ-20 and used to hunt with a friend who had an Excal 1000, and he and I usually found about the same amount of goodies. He had so many problems with his Excal that he sold it and bought a CZ-20. That was 5 years ago though. As to the CZ-21 which I recently purchased, time and experience with it will tell. I also don't understand why the CZ-21 (or the F2 for that matter) isn't up on the Fisher site. Besides quality, providing customer information and service should be tops on Fisher's list in my opinion. I would love to see Fisher update their site, and post a summary of the development and testing of the CZ-21.

pdunc

Aug 28, 2007
Maine
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
I have used both and my preference was the CZ-20. The Tiger Shark is considered to be more sensitive to small gold such as earring studs and chains, but the Fisher went deeper and was built like a tank. Never had a problem with leakage with a CZ-20, but had a leak and have read of others who have using the Tiger Shark. When changing the batteries in the TS, you have to be very careful and make sure you clean the gasket well, otherwise you can expose the guts of it to water. If you get a leak with the 20, it's confined to the battery compartment. TC is less expensive than the 20 or 21. Both are good machines. The Tiger Shark has a Lifetime warranty. The CZ-21, now out, is basically a CZ-20 with improvements to the battery cover door and the pin point button. I'm sure that Sandman can give you a little more info, but I hope my two cents helps.
daaaveman said:
Sandman, how would you compare the F20 to the Tiger Shark?

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tiger Shark is considered to be more sensitive to small gold such as earring studs and chains, but the Fisher went deeper and was built like a tank.

I have both detectors and both have their pluses and minuses. The Tiger Shark is great like you said on earring studs and thin gold chains. That said, it also finds bird shot. You do need to be careful with the gasket on the box like Pdunc said or it will leak. The TS is the only water detector that comes from the factory with the ability to change coils yourself. I did have a sensitivity pot go bad once and it never goes out of warranty. The TS has a Saltwater switch for changing modes while the CZ-20 is in the saltwater mode all the time, so it isn't as sensitive to tiny things. But they both will find a gold bar. ;D

The CZ-20 I liked and it was my #1 till I got a Excal and started not wasting time digging iron and putting in more time sweeping for the good stuff. I believe the Excal has the Fisher beat on depth too, but this is mote as it is the ability of the Excal or Sov Gt to null on iron and still report on a ring underneath unlike all other PI's and VLF's. I did have the push point button rubber leak on my CZ20, but after a repair I smeared silicone sealant on it just in case. The New CZ-21 has an improved switch. Having the batteries separate from the guts is a definite plus. Having three diff. tones to help id the target helps so you can hear all three tones and skip scooping the low and highest tones and only digging the middle ones were most of the gold rings are. Later if you have time and their isn't any competition you can go dig the coins.

Hope this helps some. The main thing is to have fun and try to refrain from wrapping a wire bread wrapper around you partner's coil when he is getting ready to hunt.

diginitup

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Hi. My first post. I have been reading for some time. I purchase a used CZ20 and really like it. I have just moved to TX. about 90 miles from Galveston and hope to get down there quite a bit this year.
I have heard so much about the Excal as being the best, I may have to get one this year. Thanks

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sandman,

The Infinium also allows you to change coils on the spot and headphones too. You can change from water to land headphones for shore hunting. Much more comfortable heat wise for me. The choice of coils is impressive. I believe at this time there are 5 coil choices. I own three of them and depending on which coil you use, the sensitivity to small gold changes. All in all, this was the main reason I bought the Infinium along with its no nonsense ID tones. It lets you know possible gold or possible silver and that is it. I ignore most silver signals unless I am having few signals to dig and spend less time digging clad as a result.

Take Care and keep that healing process going. The hunting season will be here soon!!!

Jim

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not include the Infinium LS because it is a PI. It is a great PI though with it's Low-High and High-Low tone identification. Very deep too, and that is why I find it harder for me to use. It is fine for a hunter with a strong back and young body for doing the deep digging. Soon I may end up crawling on the sand pushing the detector in front of me.

I still use the CZ20 when I am hunting fresh water beaches and swim areas sometimes. But I perfer the Excal for some reason. I think it is the Iron Mask that allows me to ignore the bobby pins and car keys and still find the rings near by. Most of my hunting beaches now days are very crowded during the summer with many people inclosed in a small swim area. But is is true that you can set the CZ20 on a disc setting of 0 and only dig the high tones for coins or like I do, only dig the mid tones for the rings and pull tabs.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see. That stinking Sovereign with the 15 inch WOT coil is similar in depth though. I finally got the hang of it this past week which I will write a post on this week some time. I was digging holes as deep as my arm on some things.

I took some photos with a disposable camera and I need to get the film developed but the light finally came on in my head about what the machine was trying to tell me on those deep faint signals. Now that I know what they are, I am pretty confident in the coil and the machine.

Can you put a WOT coil on an Excalibur? That would make for a miserable time in the surf!

Take Care,

Jim

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DaChief said:
Can you put a WOT coil on an Excalibur? That would make for a miserable time in the surf!

Take Care,

Jim

Yeah, they have one, but you need to cut the cable to install it which voids the warranty.

HH!
TBGO

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab will install it for you if you ship it to them and it will be hard wired to the control box, not spliced. I emailed them and they verified if I supplied it they would wire it.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Minelab will install it for you if you ship it to them and it will be hard wired to the control box, not spliced. I emailed them and they verified if I supplied it they would wire it.

Good to know, thanks.

HH!
TBGO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions