First Thread, Finds From a Wash Walk

xander66

Greenie
Oct 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey All, I'm new to the forum. Google sent me here trying to find some spots to go hunting, and I recently got a chance to go to Arizona and try my luck with my girlfriend. We actually found some cool things, let me know what you think!

IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0076.JPG

The first two pictures are both sides of a little agate I believe.
I'm curious as to what is giving the next piece (I think its quartz) the red and almost purple color.
The big piece on the table is my favorite find because of all the color play. Could that be opal? I don't know what would make a normal looking piece have all that color!
And the final two pictures are a little piece that will make a nice pendant. I think its Quartz again?

Thanks for looking! I'm happy to have found the forum, you guys all seem pretty cool!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice specimens and welcome to TN!

The red/purple color in the second specimen is most likely from iron oxides or manganese.

The third specimen appears to be Quartz and what you may be seeing is healed fractures in the crystal that display a "rainbow" effect when light passes through.

The last specimens appear to be Quartz as well. Neat finds! -Luke

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

xander66

Greenie
Oct 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Do the inclusions in the quartz change the name at all? I'm probably going to wire wrap the smaller pieces and would like to know what I'm giving people.

I'll have to do some research on the fracture explanation, that would still be pretty cool to me! Thanks for your reply!

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well met and welcome to Tnet.
Enjoy AZ lots of stuff to find there. Your first pic is what I call pale jasper though its more properly chalcedony. Burntbear pretty well nailed it with your other specimens. If you've the time you can get up near some of the copper mines, Silver Bell is a good one and the hills below Ragged Top, to find some nice bits and colors.

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
x66 It might be a good idea to eye loop the quartz pieces you find. You never know what goodies are hiding in the cracks. G/L

Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

xander66

Greenie
Oct 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the replies everyone! We're going to go out again this week, and now I have a better idea of what to bring home!
DD, as far as the jasper/chalcedony rock goes I'm a little confused. But, it seems that the internet is as well when placing overlapping labels such as this. What I'm getting is that since my stone is totally opaque, I should call it a jasper, as chalcedony seems to require translucency. Is that about correct??
It does have some banding though around the edges which made me want to call it an agate, but the agate page says agates are just a type of chalcedony...so I guess mine can't fit there? Haha its all a little confusing, labels have never been my strong suit.
Thanks again everyone, once I get some wire I'll be back in business with some cool local pieces! :)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chalcedony is a "group" name, a group of several minerals. Agate, Jasper are some of the members of that group.

Its been an ever raging discussion on that, not to mention a lot of confusion.

I like to see it as a family. Chalcedony tells you what family and agate/jasper tells you the "person", or the mineral in that family.
Each one has some typical signs on which you can tell whom is whom, although its not always easy, and in doupt its always best to just say chalcedony.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much as EU says. Agates I look for specific banding patterns, Jaspers are qualities like color (strong), opaqueness (usually lack thereof) and fracture patterns(flinty), chalcedony color (usually lack of), opaqueness (common) and softer fracture patterns like yours.
As EU also indicates there are lots of variables so poking a rock into one class or another takes a bit of experience to figure out~ and I'm no means an expert. *grin* I have a lot of stuff that just falls into "its a neat rock" category and I find a lot of Leaverite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

xander66

Greenie
Oct 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Soooo.... chalcedony doesn't have to be transluscent?
And doesn't jasper tend to be opaque? Sorry if this thread has gotten off topic now, I'm wishing I had just taken a mineralogy course before I graduated!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jasper is opaque, but is still a member of the chalcedony family.
So chalcedony can be opaque to. But never transparent.

Basically we can say so:
If we have a opaque chalcedony with a strong red colour (for example) that will tell us its jasper.

I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jaspers:
jasper2.jpg jasper 3.jpg jaspers.jpg

Chalcedony:
chalcedony1.jpg chalcedony2.jpg

Agates:
agate1.jpg agate2.jpg

Note the colorations, texture, fractures and opaqueness of the examples~ these are what are some of what I look for as I define whats presented.
There are lots of variations for the mineral chalcedony however they tend to fall into certain ruff groups with a lot of finger pointing afterwards ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

xander66

Greenie
Oct 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are pretty helpful!! I think I understand this, and it seems like its not really something you can be TOO wrong about. I actually found a little chunk of agate I forgot I had in my rock box and I am confident in the ID.

Thanks for the clarifications!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions