first time 600

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
First day out with the 600 park 1, multi, noise cancel, ground balance auto.Using the Archmage head phones I was able to connect first try.going about in a park not much targets first hit is 19 broken sound not solid ,pinpoint cant find it, kept looking and made a humungus hole then finally found the target it was a nickle about 4 inches nothing to get happy about.Next target about a 21 broken again not solid , zinc penny, three more about the same 20 -22 ok I figure zinc fall into this range. next target 26 solid ok this is good im thinking,.. 4 inch deep can slaw next shot 30 , quarter 4 inches but then again pinpointing was not spot on , another quarter sound 3o hard one too find makes you want to give up finally found after making craters,
Most of my time was trying to pinpoint which I find this exhausting, also trying to communicate with my friend who also has a minelab explorer, machines don't get along ,I have to shut down in order to get to compare notes. which was another time waster I had to reset machine about five times to get the headphones to set and when I did 3 times it was not fuctioning I could not hear anything even when machine showed heaphone icons no sound in phones no sound in machine.
That was fustrating and time consuming reset again. All together 59 cents 5 hours, Time was wasted trying to reset and pinpoint all the time,Hence this is my first minelab coming from a whites machine which pinpoint I think is spot on.Before going out I went over a nickel and penny which the sound were not solid it was broken i tried 5-10-15 multi all sound broken,Do I need to send this back which I dread to believe which will be annouying to do. What I liked was I can handle the machine no fatique , cover is easy to seperate battery life seems too last,

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure how you pinpoint, and maybe you do this already, mine is dead on if I use the end of the shaft, which is right in the middle of the coil. Never misses. Not sure if there is something wrong with your unit, but don't give up yet:icon_thumleft:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First day out with the 600 park 1, multi, noise cancel, ground balance auto.Using the Archmage head phones I was able to connect first try.going about in a park not much targets first hit is 19 broken sound not solid ,pinpoint cant find it, kept looking and made a humungus hole then finally found the target it was a nickle about 4 inches nothing to get happy about.Next target about a 21 broken again not solid , zinc penny, three more about the same 20 -22 ok I figure zinc fall into this range. next target 26 solid ok this is good im thinking,.. 4 inch deep can slaw next shot 30 , quarter 4 inches but then again pinpointing was not spot on , another quarter sound 3o hard one too find makes you want to give up finally found after making craters,
Most of my time was trying to pinpoint which I find this exhausting, also trying to communicate with my friend who also has a minelab explorer, machines don't get along ,I have to shut down in order to get to compare notes. which was another time waster I had to reset machine about five times to get the headphones to set and when I did 3 times it was not fuctioning I could not hear anything even when machine showed heaphone icons no sound in phones no sound in machine.
That was fustrating and time consuming reset again. All together 59 cents 5 hours, Time was wasted trying to reset and pinpoint all the time,Hence this is my first minelab coming from a whites machine which pinpoint I think is spot on.Before going out I went over a nickel and penny which the sound were not solid it was broken i tried 5-10-15 multi all sound broken,Do I need to send this back which I dread to believe which will be annouying to do. What I liked was I can handle the machine no fatique , cover is easy to seperate battery life seems too last,

You are doing something funky on pinpointing. It is dead on and right in front of the coil bolt typically when zeroed in. Get your hit on the target then hit pinpoint just off to the side of the target then wiggle back and forth until the sound is maxed and the LCD dial dots meet at 12 o'clock, the pinpointer also automatically ratchets sensitivity down to help you zero in on the target. Check out you tube videos to see how others are doing it. The target should be on the centerline of the coil and just under the coil bolt. Small ferrous targets (nails) will almost always pinpint off center

Regarding the headphones, it sounds like you are trying to re - pair the headphones every time by hitting the radio button on the side of the control pod. You only need to hit the radio control button once to pair and once the headset is paired then just leave the radio on all the time. If you shut down the machine and turn it back on with the headphones powered on, it should just re-connect with the phones automatically in a few seconds after going through its initialization sequence (the rotating LCD pattern) because the radio will already be on.

Also, your VDI for the nickel sounded really high. There either must have been another object in the hole (high conductor) mixing with the nickel or it was a war nickel. Try sweeping it across the coil now to see what you get.

Did you run over some sample buried targets in your yard. Seems like you need to get used to how the machine handles known targets and get some of your technique down with the new machine. If VDI is still off and sound still sounds broken you might need to take your machine back. Also, make sure the headphones are not the issue and use the speaker or your wired phones to compare.

If it is indeed defective, just call the CS number in the manual and you will have a new machine in your hands in a week or less.

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
(Regarding the headphones, it sounds like you are trying to re - pair the headphones every time by hitting the radio button on the side of the control pod. You only need to hit the radio control button once to pair and once the headset is paired then just leave the radio on all the time. If you shut down the machine and turn it back on with the headphones powered on, it should just re-connect with the phones automatically in a few seconds after going through its initialization sequence (the rotating LCD pattern) because the radio will already be on.)
before i turn on the nox I turn on headphones wait a few and the nox is going without pairing I dont see the headphone icon going on so I turn off the headphones then turn on again and press the nox pairing button then it catches, but sometimes it will cause the machine not to sound either in headphones or nox.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Regarding the headphones, it sounds like you are trying to re - pair the headphones every time by hitting the radio button on the side of the control pod. You only need to hit the radio control button once to pair and once the headset is paired then just leave the radio on all the time. If you shut down the machine and turn it back on with the headphones powered on, it should just re-connect with the phones automatically in a few seconds after going through its initialization sequence (the rotating LCD pattern) because the radio will already be on.)
before i turn on the nox I turn on headphones wait a few and the nox is going without pairing I dont see the headphone icon going on so I turn off the headphones then turn on again and press the nox pairing button then it catches, but sometimes it will cause the machine not to sound either in headphones or nox.

Sounds like you are doing it right by turning the headphones on before you turn on the nox, but make sure you give the nox time to reconnect to the headphones. It usually happens in a few seconds for me but give it at least 30 seconds. You should NEVER have to hit the pairing button again on the Nox unless it has paired up with another set of headphones.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same headphones. The way i do it is turn on the machine first completely. Then take the headphones ( which are off) and hold the power button for about 6 -8 seconds. First youll hear "power on" then a couple seconds later "pairing" and the ding of the headphones paired up to the machine. Ive had your issue where theres no sound but vdi is showing readings, i will then press the headphone button on the machine to off then back on. Headphones pair up in a second.

As with pin pointing. I came from the garrett AT series which pinpoint a lityle differently and it took some getting used to. Practice in your yard to get that down as well as air test you mid and high tone conductor's

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those brand headphones sound like they have a problem reconnecting after they have been paired. You should not have to go through all those machinations to reconnect.

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the pinpointing on my 800 to be dead on for the most part. I was a long time white's user (23 plus years), and the Minelab is a different machine for sure. I still only have maybe 15 hours on my 800 and at first I was digging much more trash (especially can slaw) with it compared to my v3i, but I am starting to learn what is what based on vdi and sound and have discovered a couple of tricks along the way. First, I'm starting to avoid most cans and can slaw by holding the 800 about a foot off the ground to see if I get a signal on a target that I suspect may be a filthy rotten can. If I still get a signal with the 800 that high, I find it mostly safe to assume that the jumpy 22-26 signal is a can. (Of course, the only way to 100% positively ID a target is to dig it up.) Second, while I haven't become an expert with it yet, I find that I can get a general idea of the target size using pinpoint and seeing how small (or large) the target is once I have gone over it several times in order to get the pinpointed to ratchet down to center.

I hope these tips help and don't get discouraged with your 600 just get, take some more time with it and I think that you will learn to love it. I am digging small targets at depths that I didn't think we're possible. The 800 is way easier to use out of the box compared to my v3i, and no matter how much tinkering I do with the v3i, I know that I was missing deep targets that I am confident I'm finding or will find, with the 800.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all thank for all replies, turns out my headphones are no good tried another pair of earbuds and they were no problem so they will be replaced . With the double beep my sens was too high factory set, turned it down to 18 solid hits now now im geting the hang of pinpoint so it could of been just that.. too high in sense .

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After having two 800's go crazy while pinpointing I prefer the wiggle method. Most often after I wiggle and know the target should be directly in front of the coil I can located the target with my pinpointer but sometimes I have to dig a plug to pick up on the target with my pinpointer.. I will agree with most everyone else the pinpoint on the Equinox is spot on..

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
These are just a few deep 8 to10 inches dug up, I dont know if this is ww2 but, if anyone can chime in I would appreciate as to pin pointing still tring to pinpoint correctly these signals were more to the side of where the nox would hit on center .I have a picture of the way i keep the wire from interfering with coil ,some people wanted to drill holes and put through shaft but this is an alternative way with out damage .For me this machine you have to slow down alot to catch any deep signals , I m kinda used to swinging fast with the whites which locks in,now with the nox whole different swinging when i swing fast theres too many signals at once

Attachments

• 20180608_121254.jpg
    20180608_121254.jpg
    811.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20180608_130624.jpg
    20180608_130624.jpg
    824.2 KB · Views: 77

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions