First time at the beach

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
Was at a lake today and searched the wet sand with my Sov GT (first time in sand). I dug a bunch of pulltabs and a coin, nothing worth showing. The coin was one that has been out of circulation for about 10 years so I can only assume that the spot hasn't been hunted before as it was only about 4-5 inches down.

When I came home I did some testing what gold sounds like and I can't say I can hear the difference between a pulltab and gold :(

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that because a pulltanb and gold "read" the same conductivity wize -- you see a metal detector works by making a electric feild under it --as it runs over a metal item the metal cause the feild to react (thats why the signal gets "stronger as you get closer to it with the coil" -- of course differant metals react at differant rates --some are stronger some weaker --sadly aluminum pull tabs and gold are very very close on the "reaction" scale --- the scale goes --- starting at the low end iron then (gold/ nickles/ pulltabs & foil -aluminum) then zinc mixed copper cents (modern cents) and indain head cents --then copper mem (1982 to 1959) and wheaties cents 1958 to 1909 --- then copper based "clad dimes and quarters" 1965 and up--- finally silver 1964 and before dimes silver is at the high end of the scale. -- I am using us coins as a referance being I'm american
by listening carefully sometimes faint tonal differances came be detected -- also by very carefully adjusting your "notch" you can hit most gold items but not the pulltabs -- use a pulltab / and a gold item set a few feet apart on a spot of "clear" no metal ground -- start with the notch setting at "o" then wave the coil slowly back and forth over the pulltab / gold item --and slowly adjust the notch level till you no longer pick up the tab but still ring up the gold --thats your "sweet spot"-- by using that setting you will get the most gold wth the least amount of tabs -- PS you will still get some tabs -- because if you notch them out totally you wil notch gold out too. ---good luck --Ivan

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info from Ivan, but the bottom line is if you want the gold you have to dig lots of trash to get there. If you are the only one hunting it, clean that area up a little at a time and the good stuff will appear.

I don't like to tell anyone to go near the water without a water machine but that's where the good stuff is, in the water. Maybe you can wander in there since its a lake and just be very careful, maybe try to waterproof yours somewhat. And remember if you do, don't tip the machine in the air as the water can run down the shaft and ruin the machine. Good Luck

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polarbeer the best recommendation I can give you is at the beach dig everything.

The best ring I ever found was found amongst the pull tabs. The beach had been heavily searched. A hunter had gone over the spot where I found the ring. He had a Sov GT with an extremely large coil. He passed over everything because of the pull tabs.

On other ocations I have thought, oh its just another bottle cap because of the erratic sound, but no it was a gold chain.

I'm still learning myself but the one thing that I learned from the best on here is to dig everything. I know sometimes we don't have the time and must cherry pick out there. That's when you use discrimination.

Another word of advice and this I learned recently, take it slow. It's not a race to see who can get to the end of the lane first. I move slower now and find a lot more targets, both good and bad. If one doesn't move slowly one misses those deep signals.

You have an excellent machine and should find many good things with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread