First time coin roll hunting and posting on this site, need some advice about my find

Pirate88

Jan 16, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently heard about people finding silver in rolls of coins they buy from banks and thought Id try it out. Yesterday I purchased a box of dimes from my bank and searched through them, only to find one silver dime. I was kind of discouraged but didn't want to give up, so today I went to another bank and dumped my dimes, got my cash back, and went on the hunt for a box of half dollar rolls, as I was told I might have better luck with the half dollars. I had to call around to a few banks in my area until I found one that had $500 dollars in loose half dollars on hand I could buy from them. I picked them up from the bank and the teller had put them in a big bag for me. I was really pumped to get home and start searching through them. Long story short I feel like I did really good on this first half dollar try, and would like some feedback about my find; I would love to know if it is common to find as much as I did. I found 20 proof coins, three of which are silver, and one 1986-s liberty half, I also found 11 40% halves, and two 1964 silvers. I was very shocked at the amount of proof coins I pulled out of that bag, most of the proof coins are s mint. I attached a picture of my find, I would love to know if this is typical, or if I just got really lucky. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• coinsrollhunt.jpg
    coinsrollhunt.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 269
  • coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 247
  • silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 1

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a reason it is called beginners luck. You did great! No that you got that out of the way, the skunks will probably settle in.

Best of luck!

HI BOB!

OP
OP
P

Pirate88

Jan 16, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, glad to hear it was a good find, I guess that is why they call it beginners luck, haha

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!

My first time was a killer too... 3 months ago now since I started, I have only just evened my silver finds out between my first find, and all the finds since... I have been searching 15ish boxes a week for the past 2 months now, took me 21 boxes until i got my first piece of silver...

Finding CWR(customer wrapped rolls) halves at banks are definitely the best way to go for big scores, but they are easily exhausted.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread