First time CRH a full Box (Kennedys)...

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time CRH a full Box (Kennedy's)...

My normal procedure for CRHing is to go into the bank and see if they have any CWRs on hand that came in since my last visit. I have (2) tellers who regularly keep an eye out for me (which is great) and let me know when items come in. I'm REALLY new to CRHing, and almost all coins in my collection came from everyday change finds and luck. However, the other day I went into the bank and the teller informed me that they had accidentally ordered a $500 box of Halves and they would be sending back the next week. I asked about the possibility of searching before they do, and she said it's possible without a fee! So I took the chance:

20140130_170724.jpg

I ended up with $560 in halves, from Brinks (I know, I know). The results: SKUNKED. :tongue3:

What I noticed right away was all the hunter's marks on the coins... at least 20 of them in this box had a mark on them of some sort. I face checked everything... and if nothing else I was able to fill in a Whitman's folder from 1971-2000. I did a semi-check for the 1974 DDO, and for errors, but found none. Better luck next time, perhaps?

I don't have a dump bank, and don't really know the procedure for dumping, so I probably won't get into boxes as a normal activity just yet. However, that being said, I can see the thrill in it, and understand the temptation to try to hunt these. Any tips on getting a good box to hunt?

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any tips on getting a good box to hunt?

That has to be THE single best question ever asked here

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I noticed right away was all the hunter's marks on the coins... at least 20 of them in this box had a mark on them of some sort.

I don't have a dump bank, and don't really know the procedure for dumping, so I probably won't get into boxes as a normal activity just yet.

Only 20 were marked? Thats a fairly good sign

And DO NOT take them back to the same bank- spend them or find a totally different bank to dump them at-

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. Any tips on getting a good box to hunt?

there's only one: hunt as many boxes as you can. You will find some banks that seem to produce better than others, but I'm starting to realize it's all perception and there's not much of a difference. What I thought was my worst bank produced the only dream box I have gotten to date (133 silvers!). I normally get NF string and sons (the long yellow boxes) and seem to do ok averaging 1-2 40s per box with the occasional string of skunks and the occasional boxes with 5-25 40s + 90s. I've only gotten 3 brink boxes ever and they were freaking loaded. So there is really no trick to it, just go through as many as you possibly can. The real trick to CRH is hunting down teller tray silver, teller drawer silver, and vault silver (CWRs). That is one area that I keep on getting better at and there are plenty of excellent tips I have learned throughout the years. Rather than give up the farm on that one, just keep hunting and you will find them out too. 1 box is too small a sample set, don't get discouraged keep going. I've gotten boxes were literally every single coin had the same mark. I've also gotten my own repacked dumps (full rewrapped boxes), in completely different towns than I dropped them off at!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Brinks come in the long yellow NF String boxes. They are OK, about the same as SilverForBrains' NF String boxes.

Lately, one of my regular banks (which uses Brinks) has been giving me boxes stamped with the code 5680. Lots of people here will tell you the code doesn't matter, but these boxes have all been extra skunky - not only free of Ag, but no clad proofs, NIFCs or anything else that someone might want to keep. A fair number of marked coins too. The same bank gave me two boxes in the middle of this run of 5680 boxes and both produced. so wherever the 5680 coins are coming from they are definitely going through a concentrated batch of dumps.

I know I can't tell the bank not to order me a certain code, but any ideas for breaking out of this run of boxes with the same code? Take a break from this branch for a while? Problem is, the nice vault teller orders automatically for me without my asking, so there are always 1-2 boxes a week on hand for me.

OP
OP
B

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be THE single best question ever asked here

And DO NOT take them back to the same bank- spend them or find a totally different bank to dump them at-

Indeed :thumbsup: What I really mean to ask... are Brink's boxes worth checking? The teller actually told me that Brinks culls silver from their boxes... and it's something I've heard here and elsewhere, but I do not know if that is true.

As for taking them back to the same bank, the main teller that I work with (the head teller at this branch) actually gave me a CoinLOK bag and told me to bring them back in as she was planning to send them out next week. It's funny, but I feel like I would be going back on my word now if I didn't bring them back in to her. In the past, I have never brought back in anything that they have given me. The additional $60 in rolls I will not be bringing in, for instance. That being said, I do understand that you aren't supposed to bring back into the original branch. This is not my normal thing (whole boxes) and she knows that... IF I were to start ordering boxes, then I would DEFINITELY not dump back into my own supply.

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly- it all depends on 2 things
1 who is dumping back into the system- if all that is being done is CRHs dumping and no collections being dumped its going to be skunksville-
2 amount of CRH in the area and the volume they do (also past history of crh in the area)

OP
OP
B

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly- it all depends on 2 things
1 who is dumping back into the system- if all that is being done is CRHs dumping and no collections being dumped its going to be skunksville-
2 amount of CRH in the area and the volume they do (also past history of crh in the area)

20 coins, give or take, were marked... probably 5 different marks (different colors / letters / locations). I think my location (Louisville, KY) might have a few CRHers around... maybe my next box of coins should come from my small hometown in eastern KY instead? I don't even know where they order their coins out of, but it might not be the big name players in coinage.

OP
OP
B

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Brinks come in the long yellow NF String boxes. They are OK, about the same as SilverForBrains' NF String boxes.

Funnily enough, the teller asked that I bring back the coins that I also bring back the box in my picture above because she uses them for some other personal purpose! :laughing7:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed :thumbsup: What I really mean to ask... are Brink's boxes worth checking? The teller actually told me that Brinks culls silver from their boxes... and it's something I've heard here and elsewhere, but I do not know if that is true.

As for taking them back to the same bank, the main teller that I work with (the head teller at this branch) actually gave me a CoinLOK bag and told me to bring them back in as she was planning to send them out next week. It's funny, but I feel like I would be going back on my word now if I didn't bring them back in to her. In the past, I have never brought back in anything that they have given me. The additional $60 in rolls I will not be bringing in, for instance. That being said, I do understand that you aren't supposed to bring back into the original branch. This is not my normal thing (whole boxes) and she knows that... IF I were to start ordering boxes, then I would DEFINITELY not dump back into my own supply.

If the bank gave you a bag abd told you you could bring them back then id do it 1 time and thats it- especially if you want to start doing boxes on a regular basis- if you want to do any kindnof volume- even 1-2 boxes a week find a different bank (not a different branch but total different bank) to dump- I promise they will get tired real fast of handling the same coins every week-
As for carriers- NONE of them are culling AG- dont believe anyone who says they are- especially with how low ag is right now(oh heres a good conspiracy therory for ya- the reason ag is so low is so the gov came get everyone to dump their ag collections and then the gov can cull it all out of circulation lol)
If you read my previous post finding ag is all about the numbers- numbers of boxes you do, numbers of crh in your area and their volume, number of collections being dump back into circulation

OP
OP
B

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the bank gave you a bag abd told you you could bring them back then id do it 1 time and thats it.... if you want to do any kindnof volume- even 1-2 boxes a week find a different bank (not a different branch but total different bank)

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I returned the halves today and told the teller just this. I actually wouldn't risk the positive relationship that I have with a number of tellers in my main bank for that sweet sweet silver. :occasion14:

I actually have a different bank in the building I work in... so finding a 'dump' bank might be very easy for me!

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other

Lately, one of my regular banks (which uses Brinks) has been giving me boxes stamped with the code 5680. Lots of people here will tell you the code doesn't matter, but these boxes have all been extra skunky - not only free of Ag, but no clad proofs, NIFCs or anything else that someone might want to keep. A fair number of marked coins too. The same bank gave me two boxes in the middle of this run of 5680 boxes and both produced. so wherever the 5680 coins are coming from they are definitely going through a concentrated batch of dumps.

I know I can't tell the bank not to order me a certain code, but any ideas for breaking out of this run of boxes with the same code? Take a break from this branch for a while? Problem is, the nice vault teller orders automatically for me without my asking, so there are always 1-2 boxes a week on hand for me.

You wana get rid if all the coin? Order it all and move it though, your CRH duty. It'll all work out.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have access to getting brinks boxes, and I searched maybe 20? total... most were skunks, but I did have 3 that gave up 10+ silvers in each box. so no, they do not cull, atleast in my area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread