First time detecting!

live2crochet

Feb 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past this forum has helped Identify metal objects that I find in my travels without a detector. My boyfriend and I are always buying stuff for cheap and if we are lucky, we find metal.
So my first find of the day was a metal detector off of Facebook Marketplace for $5! Don’t laugh but it is a Bounty Hunter Fun Finder that runs on two 9 volt batteries. I never really expected it to work. Saw the directions, didn’t read them, went in my front yard near the road and down the sides of the driveway to just see what it does. Here are my finds. I still can’t believe it worked and I paid $5. I am hooked!

A tourist penny from Myrtle Square Mall, South Carolina, dated between 1975 and 1983
2007 penny and scrap, but it works.

807AAFE0-1537-4BEF-88A5-A00EE4502972.jpeg

6B361900-FD1C-4866-92D7-CFAFED664141.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 26
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the new machine! :occasion14: You know, once you are "hooked" many more machines will fill your home! :icon_thumleft:

Good Luck on your new hobby!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a warning! Get rid of the detector now and drink as much as it takes to forget anything about metal detecting before you end up like the rest of us.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet! Congrats on your newest addiction. It only get better from here.

You did better with your Fun Finder on your first hunt than I did with my AT Pro! Nice work.

Please keep posting your finds! Have Fun

Grease

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a warning! Get rid of the detector now and drink as much as it takes to forget anything about metal detecting before you end up like the rest of us.

Yep, good advice.... that $5 will turn into $500 then $1500 and it never ends....

Ace300

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 300. Also Sea Hunter Mark II.
Garret handheld.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow that's cool. I live near myrtle. lol...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first finds. Now, its time to clear the spare bedroom out and make room for all of your future display cases !

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net and Congrats on your finds! I bet your detector goes deeper than the ones we used in the 70's. If you start digging the older style of pulltabs, keep digging and removing them because they will read about the same as gold rings and jewelry!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I got that same detector for my son about 8 years ago. I think I used it more than him, then I bought the ATpro, then the Zlink set up, then the ATmax, then 15” coil, the a 13” coil, then a 5x8 coil, the the SS coil, then the equinox 600, then the wireless minelab head phones, but before all that stuff was a $100 shovel, pin pointers, Lesche diggers, knee pads, a knapsack sack for all my expensive s***. And after all that I have 3 very big bottles of clad coins, a much smaller box of silver and gold jewelry and a bunch of assorted wheat cents, silver coins and useless doodads and my wrist always hurts.
LETS GO DIGGIN’ (-:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
That was a good deal for $5. I think those things are usually $40-$60 new. If you find a good site and start turning up old coins, you are going to be absolutely hooked. I started with a cheap bounty hunter 14 years ago.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wtg! Keep at it and have fun. Congrats on your first finds.

Ace300

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 300. Also Sea Hunter Mark II.
Garret handheld.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome..
Do you have any suggestions on other locations besides the beach?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Nice to meet you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread