waltblessing

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2023

Attachments

• 7025C344-2E1B-40F4-89F9-641BBA4B1A33.jpeg
    7025C344-2E1B-40F4-89F9-641BBA4B1A33.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 86
Upvote 21
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first time out !
This is a great place to ask questions and learn about the hobby but nothing will teach you more than just spending time in the field with your machine. Soon the good finds will start popping out of the ground !

Good Luck & Good Hunting !

When your new to Metal Detecting you have a lot of potential sites to hunt.
A good way to start is - make a list of everyone you know - family members, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.
Ask them how old their house is - if it's more than 60 or 70 years old, ask if you can hunt their yard.
Houses this old or older will increase your odds of finding older Silver coins - maybe even some Jewelry and Relics.
Cut clean holes with your digger - fill in the holes and take any trash you dig or see in the yard with you.
If you leave a yard cleaner then when you got there - you'll probably be welcomed back in the future.

Good Hunting !

Learn how to dig a proper plug before going out in the world.
Many new folks leave saucer plugs that dry up/get dug up/flip up/ sucked up when the mower goes over them.
If you don't know what a saucer plug is I'll try to explain.

It's when a person uses a digging tool, inserting it on an angle to cut the plug.
So the plug is shallow, and the person has cut the grass root off.
There's nothing to hold this grass toupee in the ground again.

Straight vertical cuts-leave a hinge to the plug, deep enough to have the roots and some dirt come up with the extraction of the plug.
A person can dig a foot down, and the only trick is getting all the dirt to go back in the same hole. (dirt is 30% larger in volume when dug, loosened up)
Replace plug: Simply return dirt, if a lot has been removed add then compact it down, add remainder, then the plug.
Stomp it down, fluff the grass, and it should be invisible to others that walk by.

Dry hot weather the plugs will turn brown and die usually.

Best of luck with your new detector, it's always a thrill to dig something up.

First day with the metal detector. On my dad’s property nowhere special. Trying to get a feel for the tones and where to dig. Got 8 hits and 7 finds! As you can see basic garbage but the experience was a lot. Definitely need a pin pointer!!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

First day with the metal detector. On my dad’s property nowhere special. Trying to get a feel for the tones and where to dig. Got 8 hits and 7 finds! As you can see basic garbage but the experience was a lot. Definitely need a pin pointer!!
Cool finds! Trust me, you’re going to find coins and other cool things. We found out it’s best to dig every hit because you don’t know until you dig. I had a coin show as trash and it turned out to be an Indian head penny.

My wife and I just got into MD’ing this year and we have found a few coins and some axe heads that were pretty old. Anything we find is exciting until we discover it’s another pull tab or aluminum can. LOL. Some of them have been pretty old and kind of cool. Just be sure to wear gloves. We’ve been cut by old broken glass and that kinda ruins the fun.

Practicing in the yard ! Can’t tell how old the penny is but I’m amazed you can find something so small 5 to 6 inches in the ground . Can’t imagine how well the high end detectors work !! IMM HOOKED

Hey you're off to a good start, we all made finds like yours when we first started detecting.
Here are the finds from my first hunt... :laughing7:

Attachments

• May02_05.jpg
    May02_05.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 11
I do hinged, deep plugs. Cut it about 2/3rds the way around and hinge it out. After recovering the find, comb out the surrounding blades of grass with fingers and hinge the plug back into place. I try and keep my plugs to 5 inches in diameter unless I know the object is larger than coin sized.
Keep at it and have fun.

Cool finds! Trust me, you’re going to find coins and other cool things. We found out it’s best to dig every hit because you don’t know until you dig. I had a coin show as trash and it turned out to be an Indian head penny.

My wife and I just got into MD’ing this year and we have found a few coins and some axe heads that were pretty old. Anything we find is exciting until we discover it’s another pull tab or aluminum can. LOL. Some of them have been pretty old and kind of cool. Just be sure to wear gloves. We’ve been cut by old broken glass and that kinda ruins the fun
Learn how to dig a proper plug before going out in the world.
Many new folks leave saucer plugs that dry up/get dug up/flip up/ sucked up when the mower goes over them.
If you don't know what a saucer plug is I'll try to explain.

It's when a person uses a digging tool, inserting it on an angle to cut the plug.
So the plug is shallow, and the person has cut the grass root off.
There's nothing to hold this grass toupee in the ground again.

Straight vertical cuts-leave a hinge to the plug, deep enough to have the roots and some dirt come up with the extraction of the plug.
A person can dig a foot down, and the only trick is getting all the dirt to go back in the same hole. (dirt is 30% larger in volume when dug, loosened up)
Replace plug: Simply return dirt, if a lot has been removed add then compact it down, add remainder, then the plug.
Stomp it down, fluff the grass, and it should be invisible to others that walk by.

Dry hot weather the plugs will turn brown and die usually.

Best of luck with your new detector, it's always a thrill to dig something up.
very careful when I dig and try my best to cut the plugs without separating all the roots ! Plus don’t want to damage any potential finds! Just waiting for that first awesome find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back