First time hunting

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Minelab GoFind 66, Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post here and first serious attempt at metal detecting as a hobby. I've metal detected before, but never very seriously until now.

Last night I picked up a BH Quick Draw Pro and decided to test it out in the back yard. I've gone over the yard in the past with a cheap harbor freight detector and never found anything. But this is what I found last night. A few "nothing special"s and this decorative piece that I can't identify. I'm thinking it's a topper for an iron fence. The QDP registered it as a dime, so copper(?). It's definitely non-ferrous. I put it up to my fishing magnet just to be sure. We've lived at this house for 15 years and I've looked at past satellite images back to the 80's and there's never been a metal fence here, so I have no idea if that's actually what this is from or where it came from. It's not a ring, but still more fun to find that pull tabs and beer cans. LOL.

IMG_20181128_210039.jpg

IMG_20181128_194937.jpg

IMG_20181128_195837.jpg

Upvote 23

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your curly metal piece looks to be made of zinc... my guess is a fence top. :icon_scratch:

If your son ends up getting the detecting bug, it'll be something you guys can do together for years to come. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Tnet from Toronto,
Dave

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Illinois ! At least you can have some year round detecting. We are getting ready to put ours away up here. Cold froze the ground early this year. Gonna hit the woods for a month or so, and that will be it.

Ozark Redneck

Oct 14, 2018
Dover Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome I am new to this site also. I worked on the Harbor Bridge A long time ago not sure the time we could still hunt Padre Island I know it was before Bill Clinton Welcome from Arkansas

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to you and your Son HB!

I think you're right on the fennel thought. It's probably die cast zinc. some of it has no iron at all and some has only a trace amount. It'll be white if scratched and a bit heavier than aluminum.

Cool finds and best wishes!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from Goshen, CT. Land of milk and honey... and big a$$ bears"
HH
dts

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done! Welcome to T-Net. I think you will find this to be a very fun and rewarding hobby ( just a little addictive too....). Keep the posts coming.

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Minelab GoFind 66, Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's threaded on the inside, I was thinking the ring came off a 3/4" romex connector.

View attachment 1656180

I had been thinking the same as ToddsPoint for a while. I figured it was from a bicycle, but you are probably right! I'm in Corpus Christi and we went through Hurricane Harvey. The storm took down our electrical pole behind the house. We had multiple AEP trucks and dozens of crew all over my backyard for a day and a half as they put in the new pole and reconnected power to all the houses connected to it. I could easily see a few connectors dropping out of a pocket or toolbox. Good call!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep up the good work...dig everything! :occasion14:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what those things are?? I have a bucket full from the last 8 years lol

The one I could find a picture of is cast, but there are also stamped ones made too from those for 1/2" connectors on up to 2" for service entrances. There may be bigger ones made for all I know.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had been thinking the same as ToddsPoint for a while. I figured it was from a bicycle, but you are probably right! I'm in Corpus Christi and we went through Hurricane Harvey. The storm took down our electrical pole behind the house. We had multiple AEP trucks and dozens of crew all over my backyard for a day and a half as they put in the new pole and reconnected power to all the houses connected to it. I could easily see a few connectors dropping out of a pocket or toolbox. Good call!
It is a romex connector. I was an electrician at one point in my life, and my dad was an electrical contractor for 30 years. We used those all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions