Betoxyz68

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2007
Upvote 0

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Re: First Time MD'ing with my Ace 250

You should be able to find most all good stuff with that setting
May loose a little depth but for the most part you will not waste time digging iron

Eddy

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

like Eddy said, you'll do fine with that setting. That is the setting I use all the time. Occasionally I will switch to all-metal mode if I want to clear an area of iron in case there is something that the iron is hiding, but for the most part you will find many good things in jewelry mode. Just keep using it and it will began to get easier and you will start to understand what it is telling you. Just be warned that aluminum cans sometimes show up in the penny/dime range so you will be digging them up also.

HH with it

Funkman

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As long as you are finding nickels and an occasional pulltab, you probably are not missing much. Deeper targets will probably be discriminated out. I have not used an Ace 250 but do have a Garrett and 3 others, I go all metal these days and ignore the bad targets. HH, Mike

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

I agree with Mike! as long as you find nickles, you'l do good. PS: Dont forget to research your area's. this will help to produce great finds ;D

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have an ace, and where I hunt there is so much Iron, if I go all metal it sounds like Vegas. So I use the Jewelry mode as well. Later when you get good at the sounds you will know what to dig and not.

OP
OP
B

Betoxyz68

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2007

Thanks All!!!!

I did find a 1941 Mercury Dime on my first day (beginners luck).....

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

the jewelry mode on the ace actually has a little less discrim than the coin mode, so you should actually find more stuff using it in that mode. the way i always set my ace is to only notch out the last two segments on the left.this way it ignores most iron (except for the occasional nail) and will sound off on everything else. you will dig a lot of junk this way, but you will also find a lot of goodies that you may have otherwise missed. congrats on your first hunt! ;)

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

I use my ACE in "relic" mode. this only blocks out IRON. I don't think you will actually lose any depth since if you watch your read out, it still lights up over IRON, it just doesn't sound the alarm. If you are not watching the screen, you would never know that it is still telling you there is IRON there since the machine did not give off a sound.

Try it next time out and you will see what I mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread