First time out for a real hunt in over a year. 1787 Massachusetts cent.

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
This is my first post in a long time. About a year and a half ago, my family and I moved from Maine to Washington and I haven't really been out to do any detecting. I have just been busy with other things. Well, we finally made time to go back to Maine on vacation and I got a chance to do some MD'ing yesterday with my dad, brother and brother in law. We stopped at an old foundation that my brother in law had has his eye on for a long time. Towards the end of the hunt and feeling discouraged that the day was going to be a bust, out popped this beauty! It is in pretty good shape and the ground has been good to her, but I need advice on cleaning and preserving it. I know I have read it on here before, something about putting wax on them once they are clean to bring out the details. I have also done some research about the different varieties. There seems to be a few and these are not my area of expertise, so if anyone can tell by my pictures feel free to let me know. Thanks alot! Oh yeah, I could kick myself for scratching it, but it was under a really tough root.

Attachments

• Justinscoins126[1].jpg
    Justinscoins126[1].jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 647
  • Justinscoins127[1].jpg
    Justinscoins127[1].jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 631
Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My Father-in-law and I got to MD the old Blue Hills Fairgrounds Back in 75,WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAA!Never been touched!Silvers Coppers American & Canadian.Sure would like to find a VIRGIN area again.Super find Ya got there man!!!!!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is perfect as is. I can't imagine doing anything to it... you certainly wouldn't make it better in any way. That coin doesn't have to be sealed, and most things you could coat it with will make it darker and ruin the patina.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wash it with warm soapy water then soak it in olive oil for a few hours. Then wipe the oil off gently with a soft cloth.

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds bro! Wish i could have been there with you guys! I can't wait to do some detecting when i get back. Did you find anything else? Got any other spots lined up? Hope your having a great vacation! Im still waiting to break into the 1700's, Awesome finds once again by the Ol' Dirt Fishin Crew!

-Dan

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VEry awesome! looks a little wounded.

unclevinn

Sep 6, 2009
maine
Detector(s) used
fisher1212x
what can i say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a find!!!! and great shape too bad about the scratch. but even so still a rare find. we use to dream about finding pine tree or willow coins. or state minted coins but gave up on that years ago... congrats on your find . its really great. unclevinn

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Thanks for the replies guys. Thanks IP for your help. It's appreciated. I wish you could have been there Unc, you too Dan. We will go when you get back. I'm still trying to figure out the variety. I hope it's a really rare one!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure it's Ryder Ryder 4-C, listed as very scarce. I just need to double check a few more to make sure there's nothing that's very close. A few points to note is it has the double line above the date, 5 leaves type, and the slant on the 8.

http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/127965

Attachments

• AN73296757-oz.jpg
    AN73296757-oz.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 427
  • AN73296757-rz.jpg
    AN73296757-rz.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 424

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, that should be it. Even the way the top leaf goes into the wing is the same, and doesn't do that on the other 4 types. So that should be it. Better than digging a common one.

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Thanks IP. I had just found a chart with the varieties when you posted. You are definately right. Thanks for the ID. It is definately better than digging a common one. I just wish I didn't hit it with my digger when I popped it out of the ground.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fr3nchy27 said:
Thanks IP. I had just found a chart with the varieties when you posted. You are definately right. Thanks for the ID. It is definately better than digging a common one. I just wish I didn't hit it with my digger when I popped it out of the ground.

If you are willing to invest a few bucks one of the relic restoration guys could probably color in your mark to match the coin... basically make it look like an old mark. Hell they could probably fill it in and hide it as they are pretty damn good at what they do. Thought I'd mention that, but all you have to do is display it the better side up. :thumbsup:

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
Iron Patch said:
Fr3nchy27 said:

If you are willing to invest a few bucks one of the relic restoration guys could probably color in your mark to match the coin... basically make it look like an old mark. Hell they could probably fill it in and hide it as they are pretty damn good at what they do. Thought I'd mention that, but all you have to do is display it the better side up. :thumbsup:

Would be worth doing in my opinion! I wouldnt be too down about scratching it, just think thats better than not finding it at all! It is one hell of a find to be proud of! i envy all you east coast detectorists and the history you have there to hunt. Love seeing what you guys find on a daily basis.

OP
OP
Fr3nchy27

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Weddle546 said:
Iron Patch said:
Fr3nchy27 said:

Would be worth doing in my opinion! I wouldnt be too down about scratching it, just think thats better than not finding it at all! It is one hell of a find to be proud of! i envy all you east coast detectorists and the history you have there to hunt. Love seeing what you guys find on a daily basis.
Thanks Desert Rat. The east coast is definatley full of history. I have lived in WA for the last year and a half. It's harder to find old places to hunt out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread