first time out not so good :(

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well i found nothing but junk today. Was out about 2 hours. First time im new to this hobbie, im trying to learn my detector a ace 250. Had fun, the ground was hard to dig alot of rocks and roots. I found this big ol pipe thing, i found alot of nails and even some tinfoil.

Allo in all i got alot to learn.

Attachments

• IM000437.JPG
    IM000437.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 707
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
better as in finding junk lol or finding stuff to keep to be happy about?

OP
OP
C

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
well today was my trial run as i had to learn something about it before i go out to other places i tried it in my back yard to try to get to know the detector.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, you have a great detector. I got one for Christmas and I am still learning a little more every time out with it. I may get a few " I wouldn't have told them that" with the advice I am going to give you. If the Ace 250 is causing you a bunch of head aches and you think you just might.....

1. Pull your hair out.
2. Throw it in the lake.
3. Wrap it around a tree.
4. Or shove it under the bed and leave it there forever.

If any of the above fits your situation you have come to the right nut to help you out. The first thing is I would not hunt in all metal mode like the video advises you to until you get used to what the Ace is telling you. It will find the smallest metal speck in the ground and you will dig a hole to china before you get frustrated and give up. Or it will locate the best dime signal in the history of metal detectors and say it is 2 inches deep. When you dig a hole a foot deep you will find an aluminum can to your amazement. Here's one thing you can do to get used to pinpointing and learning what targets sound like in the ground. Hunt in coin mode and decrease the sensitivity about 4 bars from maximum and hunt at a local grammer school yard around the playground equipment or the wood chips if they have them. It will take you a while to get comfortable with the Ace 250 but you will love it more each time you go out with it. Last Saturday I found a 1903 barber dime at about 5 inches and it was a good strong signal and it rang like a bell when I went across it. I have found lots of good stuff and you will too. I guess I better say that you don't have to try the advice I gave you if it sounds a little nutty but it helped me a lot to try that at first. Have a good one,

DANGLANGLEY

outdoorgirl

Nov 21, 2006
Eastern NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometmies it takes a while for you and your MD to become one ;D You'll get better at it. It just takes some practice and beofre you know it, you'll know how to distinguish the sounds. Good Luck!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, CS, at least you found some things. You will find more and better things with practice and patience. Remember, too, that people post their best finds....we aren't seeing all the nails, foil, wrappers, and the countless pull tabs that everyone finds daily. Keep digging!

HH

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
CSOhio said:
well today was my trial run as i had to learn something about it before i go out to other places i tried it in my back yard to try to get to know the detector.

Get out of your yard!! Try somewhere that people are at! Here you go>>>>soccer fields, baseball fields, parks, tot lots, woods, any public grassy areas. If you need to go early. I usually detect early and if its going good I might be just another face in the crowd! You will have to get used to people being around or your chances of success are >0

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANGLANGLEY said:
Hey there, you have a great detector. I got one for Christmas and I am still learning a little more every time out with it. I may get a few " I wouldn't have told them that" with the advice I am going to give you. If the Ace 250 is causing you a bunch of head aches and you think you just might.....

1. Pull your hair out.
2. Throw it in the lake.
3. Wrap it around a tree.
4. Or shove it under the bed and leave it there forever.

If any of the above fits your situation you have come to the right nut to help you out. The first thing is I would not hunt in all metal mode like the video advises you to until you get used to what the Ace is telling you. It will find the smallest metal speck in the ground and you will dig a hole to china before you get frustrated and give up. Or it will locate the best dime signal in the history of metal detectors and say it is 2 inches deep. When you dig a hole a foot deep you will find an aluminum can to your amazement. Here's one thing you can do to get used to pinpointing and learning what targets sound like in the ground. Hunt in coin mode and decrease the sensitivity about 4 bars from maximum and hunt at a local grammer school yard around the playground equipment or the wood chips if they have them. It will take you a while to get comfortable with the Ace 250 but you will love it more each time you go out with it. Last Saturday I found a 1903 barber dime at about 5 inches and it was a good strong signal and it rang like a bell when I went across it. I have found lots of good stuff and you will too. I guess I better say that you don't have to try the advice I gave you if it sounds a little nutty but it helped me a lot to try that at first. Have a good one,

DANGLANGLEY

Actually, this is pretty much what I do right now as well (with a different detector). Use Disc at factory setting but lower sensitivity a few notches. ;D. Mine will also find a ball point pen tip worth of metal in "all metal" mode 3-4 inches deep (I know this for sure :P). Drove me crazy. Only take solid all metal hits (those that ID as something like a coin not those that just make a sound) until you have a better idea what the machine is telling you.

I've found $11 in modern coin, 2 silver coins, 1 gold bracelet, 6 rings, and heaps of foil and junk. Hit some kid's bark chips. If you aren't finding any modern coins, then maybe your area has a lot of MD'ers. Join one of their clubs.

Happy Hunting and don't get discouraged. I don't want to have to buy the ACE off you -cheap! ::)

Jonesin

Apr 1, 2007
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Always remember what one of the great MDer's of alltime said:

Remember, a MDers Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The pulltab dark side are they. Once you start down the pulltab dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Tom

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone who gave you some really good advice on here. DFX gave some good advice also. Get out to local parks, schools and so forth. You might also check your local museum or library for old County maps, look at the townships and look for old one room school houses and old church sites that are no longer standing. These are all great places to hunt for that elusive silver.

I have 5 different County maps and all the townships in each county and all of these old maps date back to the 1860's. Your area might be a much older area. Be sure to get permission to hunt a site that you have found. You don't want to keep looking over your shoulder for the law. Permission in this hobby is a must.

I also hope you are using a good headset, one that you can adjust each ears sound. Also a good digger is a must, one that is Stainless Steel. You might also want to invest in a pinpointer for your detector. The ACE can go pretty deep and once you break the halo from a coin or item, sometimes it's hard to find. A pinpointer will help find that item.

Good Luck, Ringfinder

P.S.
Some people don't like to dig pull tabs, but pull tabs sound just like a small ladies ring. The neat thing about the ACE if you use the coin mode, sometimes you can find a nickel right next to a pull tab and not pick up the pull tab. Try it. Also lay some different coins down and check to see where they come in on your detector.

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
CSOhio-
Greetings and congrats on your new machine! I also am new to MD'ing and also have a new Ace 250, had it about 3 weeks. My first time out, I went to the city beach and was a bit uncomfortable when a Russian family gathered around me as I started digging my first hole. When I pulled out a 3 inch piece of copper wire, they quickly lost interest, and no one paid me the least attention after that! Here's some of the places I've hunted, some of the things I've found, and some of the things I've learned.
City Beach- copper wire, push pin, paper clip, nails, gum wrappers, end of old water pipe (still attached to building!)
Bike Path- old nails, pull tabs, bottle caps, connectors for chainlink fencing, old rusty oil filter wrench, and A PENNY! (My friend found a penny too! We were sharing the machine)
City Park by river- nails, fishing weight, foil in cigarette pack, A PENNY, lid to sardine can, rusty chunk of ? bolt?
Saltwater Beach Park- (late at night, after work, no flashlight!) foil from barbecue, several pieces of rusty wire, pull tabs, fishing weight, nails, fishhook, box for water shutoff valves. (That was exciting! about 3" down in the sand, flat on top, then an edge, corners, the machine going off like crazy! I thought I found a washed up treasure chest!Lol :D)
In the Mountains by creek- nails, pull tabs, bottle caps, shell casings,and, you guessed it, A PENNY!

What I've learned- I keep my machine on factory settings and dig every signal.
When I get a signal, I'll pass over it from different angles, then use the pinpointer. Once I have it pinpointed, I'll also check to see if it's a long item(might miss a gold chain, but I'm already tired of digging up waterpipes, and also worried about underground wires). I don't always find the item at the depth the machine says, but I just start digging and forget about that anyway.As I'm digging, I pretty much pass each handful (the hand without the ring on) of dirt over the detector until it sounds off again. If I get discouraged, I'll scan the hole again,(first move my digging tool away from the edge), to see if the target is still down there, until I find it! It helps to scan the area around the target before you start, so you find a spot with no signal where you can put the dirt you dig up. Then, if you check the hole and get no signal, you can scan the dirt pile and know if you get a signal, it's not coming from the dirt beneath the pile.
These are pretty basic tips, and don't think I'm insulting your intelligence, but sometimes when you've been doing something for a long time, like alot of folks on here, and they're trying to help someone starting from scratch (like me :)) they forget to mention some of the very basic stuff because it's so automatic for them. Oh yeah, haven't done this myself, but heard from another newbie, don't wear steel-toe shoes! ;)
So when do we start finding the really cool stuff? Well, for myself, I need more practice digging a decent plug before I have enough confidence to ask someone with a cool old building if I can dig in their yard. And besides, maybe the ratio stays pretty much the same? Alot of junk to a few cool things? Maybe it depends on where we hunt. I'm still sticking to the edges of the park, the sand, the wood chips, before I dig in that beatiful green carpet right by the bleachers. When I can dig a plug without leaving an ugly mess behind, then I'll get out in the middle of things and probably find more clad, anyway.
Hope some of this was helpful. Don't get discouraged and do post any more stuff you learn as you go along, 'cause it will probably help me or some of the other newbies on here! ;) Glad to have you on board-
Kilika

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Just keep at it. Get out of the yard, and over to a playground. You'll have way more success.
Looking forward to seeing your future finds.
-MM-

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
ACE250 also. I went to a sandy area by a lake and when I would get what I thought was a good signal I would trace my coil in the sand and see where the object was. I have learned it is not always were the ace says it is. But I now have an idea where is should be and can return the backhole to the rental center. I also notice here lately ( only three months with the ace). A good single target will make one or two beeps only instead of the chatter as I call it. I also need to slow down a bit, I have a tendency to move real fast and sometimes lose a good beep and can not find it again.

everybody finds something sometime but not all the time

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
CSOhio-
Check out under General Discussion - Research and Recovery - by SouthCarolinaTeacher. There's a link to a YouTube video on how to dig a good plug. It was helpful to me. Sorry, I don't know how to put links in yet, or it would've been here.
HH - Kilika

wingman

Mar 17, 2004
johnstown,ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
the 250 is a great detector.ive been using mine for 2 years now and love it(mostly with the 9x12 coil).
after you've cleaned your yard out move on to the woodchip playground at your local schools.its a great way to learn what metals ping like and where they fall on the id scale,and its easy to dig so you learn alot in 2 hours.
research is the key to the good stuff.i'm not sure where your at in ohio,but if your near columbus check out the research area at the historical society.its the whole 3rd floor they have so many old maps and books it would take a lifetime just to look at it all.
HH
wing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions