First time out this year, scored my first old copper and oldest coin.

Golden Pull-tab

Mar 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first year of detecting was cut short due to work and travel, I only got to detect for 4 months or so, but ground is thawing out and it's time for round 2. I decided to hit the same spot I hit my frist time out last year, a site of a multi generation farm from the 1720's, abandoned around 1830's, its now heavily wooded and pretty much mostly a bog. The site was heavily hit before, lots of dug up junk and I've seen a group of people detect there on a few occasions but after being skunked there numerous times I managed my first silver coin there last year, an 1809 bust cap half, detecting about 200 yards from the cellar hole in a bog.

Hit the same general area today for about 2 hrs, and managed to pull my first copper, and beat my last years find by 21 years, a 1788 Connecticut copper. Not sure on variety, like most copper in the ground this long it's pretty corroded, but still easily identifiable as a conn copper and clearly visible date, actually alot easier to see details in person than in the pics.

This site has been stingy, I've put quite a few hours there, and its super difficult, boggy and heavily overgrown with new growth and fallen branches everywhere, but the 2 coins I pulled from there were both over 200 years old and there's virtually no modern contamination, so it's worth the effort, I just wish I could have found this place before it was hit, the first person to hit this place must have made out pretty good.

Attachments

• 20190321_191141.jpg
    20190321_191141.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190321_191222.jpg
    20190321_191222.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 26

LNGIV

Jun 4, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome save. Gotta love old Coppahs. Apparently the site hasnt been hit enuff. Big silvah and old coppah. Id be going back for sure

Al.relics

Jan 28, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Nox 800, Whites DFX e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice copper, congrat's on your first for the year!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the CT copper. If you look up the history of those there is quite a bit of information!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gotto love old coppers.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I have yet to find a state copper. The 1809 half must have been a thrill too...also on my bucket list. Hope you get some more great finds.

OP
OP
Golden Pull-tab

Golden Pull-tab

Mar 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot guys, I'm itching to get out there again but it's currently snowing...Once it thaws out completely I'm probably just gonna go full relic mode on this place and dig all the ugly signals, might be more old coins hiding under the junk and sometimes deep coins sound like absolute **** if they're on edge or near iron, with the age of this site the effort might pay off well.

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your first conneticut copper and in pretty good shape. I am still waiting to find one that I can read the date on

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread