First time out with new Delte 4K

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a local park down the street from my house this afternoon for a test flight. The park is'nt that old, maybe the late 50's and about 2 acres with a ball diamond.

I started out on factory settings, headphones, 8 inch coil. First off I wanted to get a feel for the tones, second the numbers. My first target was medium tone, numbers ranged from 56 to 71 1 inch deep turned out to be a square pulltab. Next was alternating between low to high, numbers were 78 to 82 produced stink penny.

I doug all targets and I found that all square tabs had the same bouncing numbers and doug atleast 20 of them. Same goes for the stinks. After a while I got a nice hit reading 87-88, depth meter said 6 inches, doug a clad quarter at 6 inches.

Round tabs all hit in Alum every time, the bever tail part only marked at nickle but the numbers read 62-65. I doug 4 clad dimes and all were in the 83-84 range and bounced a little between dime and quarter but digable for sure with deepest being 2 inches.

I did get a wheatie (1957) at 4 inches, read solid dime. I did'nt find any nickles but hope to tomorrow.

In all my finds were, 1 quarter, 4 dimes, 18 copper pennys, 8 stinks, 1 wheatie, and about 30 various pulltabs. Not too bad for 2 hours first time out.

My take on the Delta so-far? I have only used it for a couple hours and want to put atleast 100 hours on it before giving my final opinion but I don't see it getting coins at 11 inches, but again I have to use it a lot more. I do know that even if it does find something at that depth, the tone and ID will change (Fluctuate) dramaticaly.

The disc function is great and so is ID on shallower targets. Hope to see it improve as I get more experience with it. Balance is awesome as is the weight. I turned up the sensitivity to 12 after a while and ran steady, even in this AZ soil (sand). Also, pinpointing is spot on.

Hope to take it to an older ballfield in another town where there is less trash and a chance to find some older, deeper coins.

I can't wait for my Vequero toget here so I can take it over the same area and see how that performs.

If you have any tips for the Delta I would welcome them.

HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not that familar with the Delta to make comparisons. When you take the Vaquero to the same place you are going to find other targets. The Delta would have reported them if the coils field touched them, but just because the Vaquero does doesn't mean the Delta is junk cause it missed them. Even hitting the coin from a different angle will give a response when it didn't before.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother had the Delta last year and it was a real stinker. NO coins past 3-4 inches...jumpy ID on everything. Maybe it was just a bad one but it was terrible. On the other hand I had the Omega 8000 and it was amazing. Deep, Quiet, Easy to use.

OP
OP
justanotherbarber

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think the delta is junk, I just like the way the V resopnds to targets, and the manual GB. I'm keeping the Delta as a backup. I'm not through comparing then yes as I want 100 hours on them both to really see the differences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread