First Time out!

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our metal detecting club had plans to hunt this old beach area in Kansas City at our April meeting. It was our first outdoor meeting of the year and I couldn't wait. After finding out that no one had ever hunted in the water I decided to get my scuba certification and be the first to hunt it. Well I finished my open water dives the middle of March in Houston, TX and this meeting was going to be my first dive. The water was 47 degrees and at first when I got in I thought there was no way I was going to be able to do this in such cold water. I had a full length 3mil and a shorty 3mil suit to keep me warm. Once I put my gloves on I was very comfortable. The depth was only 10 feet under the platform (I thought this would be a good safe dive for my first time). The water was fairly clear on top but once I got down to the bottom it was so murky and muddy I couldn't do anything (talk about being claustraphobic). I didn't get any signals but I still had a great time and I am glad I got my first official dive out of the way. For my next dive I think I will hit a lake with a sandy or gravel bottom.

Thanks for looking!

Don

Attachments

• scuba2.jpg
    scuba2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 386
  • scuba3.jpg
    scuba3.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This diving thing is exciting. Since I had lots of experience diving, I sometimes scuba alone. Not a smart thing, but it's either that or cut the grass again. It pays to carry a pony bottle with it's own regulator and a Spare Air too. Don't forget a good dive knife for cutting your way out of fishing line. After awhile playing with the tanks you would do well to check out the hookah systems for more bottom time.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Man! Cold or not that looks like fun. I've thought abut taking SCUBA lessons but alas life has never lead me down that path.

Good luck.

Burt

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments. When I was in Houston doing my open water dives the water was 56f and I was fine without gloves. In these waters I tried it without the gloves and just couldn't do it. Once I put the gloves on I couldn't believe the difference. I was very comfortable in the water, not cold at all. I only stayed in the water for about 30 minutes. Once I realized how hard it was to detect in the mud I decided to hit the picnic and camping areas (I had a little better luck). I figure I will make my next dive in a lake near here that has a gravel/stone bottom, the water will be a lot clearer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread