First Time Searching Dimes. Mercury Dime!

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves haven't been good to me lately, there are few banks around me so moving halves is hard, and my last $1500 face have been skunks. So I decided to try dimes. I got two boxes and went through them.

I found a rough 1916 (no mintmark, or mint mark has been rubbed off) Mercury dime, I was extatic! even though its rough she looks great. My first dime find, and a good one to say the least. My only complaint is that my bank's coin counter takes a long time to count dimes. My two boxes of dimes took longer to count than my effectively 3 boxes of halves at the same coin counter.

DSCN3302.JPG
DSCN3303.JPG

Upvote 0

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a '16-S to me, not sure though, the mintmark should be right below the bottom left leaf on the reverse... At any rate, nice find... oldest dime I've ever found was a '24, so that's pretty good for your first box, haha.

MercMMlocation.jpg

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. Looks like an S mint mark. I've had bad luck finding dime boxes that contained older coins. All the dime boxes in my area are new 2012.

Congrats on the Merc! I've yet to find one in the wild.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was quite surprised that I found it actually, I was expecting it to be a skunk. My bank has the facilities to roll coins, so they re-roll coins. This was definitely a re-roll for both boxes, which were taped closed. I'll look more closely to see what the mint mark says but I think it's too worn to be able to tell.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I was quite surprised that I found it actually, I was expecting it to be a skunk. My bank has the facilities to roll coins, so they re-roll coins. This was definitely a re-roll for both boxes, which were taped closed. I'll look more closely to see what the mint mark says but I think it's too worn to be able to tell.
You would also be able to tell by simply checking the MM location versus that of a D... since in 1916, Denver only used one reverse die to strike all of the Merc dimes they minted.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would also be able to tell by simply checking the MM location versus that of a D... since in 1916, Denver only used one reverse die to strike all of the Merc dimes they minted.

Where is the MM on a 1916D?

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find. 96 years later it has an owner who isn't gonna let it get away!!

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merc Crazy,

I went back and looked, and it is indeed a 1916 S. Almost hard to tell because of how worn though

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool find! I found a similarly worn 1916 two weeks ago, I was very happy at the age to say the least. I got a new camera and blew up a photograph of it, and am pretty sure I can see a D. I've been meaning to post it on treasure net to verify before I send it out for verification/grading. I'm so lazy though. your post reminded me of it, maybe I'll get around to it. Keep up the merc finds!

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes please show us! I quite enjoy seeming everyone's finds and I hope yours is a D mint, I wonder what the grade would be for coins in conditions like ours.

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would say they would grade AG-3 (about good) maybe good-4 just my opinion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread