First time to the bank, with my new outlook

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went to my local bank this morning in search of some halves. decided to make a $20 deposit just so it seemed as if i had a reason to be there. made the deposit and told the girl i needed some half dollars. she said, "half dollars???" i said yep. she said she didnt have any and she asked the other tellers. the next lady also said, "half dollars???" and then looked at me. i felt as if she "knew" as soon as she looked at me. she then said she had three one dollar coins and i was thinking about whether or not they were worth trying and the customer she had in front of her said "I want those please". then i felt like i should have jumped when she said she had them. the lady customer gave her three dollars and happily left. since they didnt have any halves and i had the itch to go through some coins i got $40 in dimes. just got done looking through them and there was no silver. i found several 65's, so close. i looked at the rims but still went through the dates since this is the first time ive ever coin roll hunted. i wasnt sure if there was any other things to be looking for so i packed em back up. going to have my fiance do my dumping at her bank since i hate her bank. any tips are welcomed. looking forward to finding some halves.

Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have some confidence in yourself! Who cares what they think about you or our hobby and who cares what they "know." Many tellers know about our hobby and about silver and many don't. You arent doing anything immoral or shady so there isnt any need to be paranoid. Just go into the banks and be normal, unless you aren't normal and in that case act normal :laughing7:. You are doing fine, keep trying and the silver will come little by little.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went to my local bank this morning in search of some halves. decided to make a $20 deposit just so it seemed as if i had a reason to be there. made the deposit and told the girl i needed some half dollars. she said, "half dollars???" i said yep. she said she didnt have any and she asked the other tellers. the next lady also said, "half dollars???" and then looked at me. i felt as if she "knew" as soon as she looked at me. she then said she had three one dollar coins and i was thinking about whether or not they were worth trying and the customer she had in front of her said "I want those please". then i felt like i should have jumped when she said she had them. the lady customer gave her three dollars and happily left. since they didnt have any halves and i had the itch to go through some coins i got $40 in dimes. just got done looking through them and there was no silver. i found several 65's, so close. i looked at the rims but still went through the dates since this is the first time ive ever coin roll hunted. i wasnt sure if there was any other things to be looking for so i packed em back up. going to have my fiance do my dumping at her bank since i hate her bank. any tips are welcomed. looking forward to finding some halves.

Not much except silver to look for in dimes- and as above just be cool when asking- they will either say yes or no- unless you ask for boxes at that point you might get a lot of different questions-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Have some confidence in yourself! Who cares what they think about you or our hobby and who cares what they "know." Many tellers know about our hobby and about silver and many don't. You arent doing anything immoral or shady so there isnt any need to be paranoid. Just go into the banks and be normal, unless you aren't normal and in that case act normal :laughing7:. You are doing fine, keep trying and the silver will come little by little.

I completely agree with Joe777Cool. You get used to it. Many of my tellers think it is cool that some coins can be worth so much and actually like talking to me about my hobby.

OP
OP
J

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should i have bought the three one dollar coins?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should i have bought the three one dollar coins?

Most likely they were "gold" presidential or sacajawea coins in which case that other customer did you a favor.

OP
OP
J

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spoke with a lady at church today that manages a wells fargo about 20 minutes from the house. its a little farther than i plan on going regularly but i figured id ask her about coins since we know each other. she said she has halves but her tellers pick through them. man thats aggravating! she said she would keep an eye out but im not sure its worth messing with that branch since her tellers are scanvangers...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speak with her again and ask if she could order a box of half dollars for you (it is a $500 box), then make sure the tellers DO NOT open the box, this will assure you the box is unsearched when you get it.
spoke with a lady at church today that manages a wells fargo about 20 minutes from the house. its a little farther than i plan on going regularly but i figured id ask her about coins since we know each other. she said she has halves but her tellers pick through them. man thats aggravating! she said she would keep an eye out but im not sure its worth messing with that branch since her tellers are scanvangers...

OP
OP
J

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea i might do that. since we know each other maybe she will make sure it stays unopened. just have to wait a little while to "up" my coin roll hunting money.

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to feel uncomfortable thinking the tellers would get upset if I said I was simply searching rolls for silver but since I started saving nickels I now say I am a coin collector and of course will cull silver if I come across it. As Joe777Cool says you aren't doing anything shady, its not illegal and we aren't putting them out, my banks tell me I am doing them a favor saving them from opening rolls and bagging them!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times we need thick skin crh can be a little hard, Be nice and get what you want!!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perfectly normal to feel a little weird when you first start but as you gain experience and your tellers get to know you, that weird feeling will go away completely. As far the dollar coins, you want only "the big dollar coins". Learn to identify the silver Ike's and if you get really lucky you could get an ASE, Morgan or peace dollar. HH

OP
OP
J

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys ask every single cashier you come across if they have the change you are hunting? I'm talkin about gas stations, eating joints, hardware store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread