First time using Ace 400 - In my back yard - For a second, LOL.

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my Ace 400 and today is the first chance I had for a brief chance to try it out in my backyard. I was only able to search an approx. area of 1000 sq. feet and then the rain came pouring down. I'm already sick and it was only 50 degrees before the rain. So anyway, my yard is polluted with iron and I know that. SO the Ace 400 confirmed that with each hit. I searched a total of 15 minute and found 6 pieces of junk. I found a rivet, a pipe neck, piece of wire fence, a nail, a wad of aluminum foil and a rusty bent jig saw blade. BUT the Ace was dead on each time. The depth of each was within an inch or less and the pin point function narrowed the dig down to about a 3-4 inch hole for each. I don't yet have a Pin Pointer so that will help me out. When the rain stops I will continue practicing in the back and then hit a Permission I have gotten in the next county. Not much good except I know it is working, so wish me better luck in the near future.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like my 1st few hunts. I dug everything at first, but I am a coin shooter so I decided to use some discrimination.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I'm taking baby steps. I am using all metal to see what each item sounds like. I hope I can start notching out some soon.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you dug one piece of iron, you've dug enough in my book. Are you interested in finding coins and jewelry? If yes, then I'd take an assortment of both and lay them in your yard. Swing over each to hear the tone and then look at your screen to see what Target ID number is showing. Swing your coil over them in different directions watching the TID. When it comes to mid tones I only dig targets that have a steady to 1 digit difference either direction on the target ID. Many others dig all mid tones and pull way more gold rings that me. I ask myself, do I want to pull 1000 pull tags for every ring I dig? If you are a jewelry hunter, you will dig a lot of trash.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fun hunt! In your yard dig everything, removing the ferrous targets will open up the area for the keepers, hopefully silver and gold!

GL & HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your advice on the telephone. How much discrimination that you use with a Fisher 75?

I disc out 1 thru 14 now. The iron range on the F 75 is 1 thru 15. When I started I used to disc out everything and then I notched nickels and zincs back in. After about 4 months I began to disc 1 thru 24 or 25 to get rid of the iron and foil. I have since evolved to the 1 thru 14 disc. When I hunt fields back east I sometimes go all metal and 2 tone and dig everything that rings in as the higher tone.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you dug one piece of iron, you've dug enough in my book. Are you interested in finding coins and jewelry? If yes, then I'd take an assortment of both and lay them in your yard. Swing over each to hear the tone and then look at your screen to see what Target ID number is showing. Swing your coil over them in different directions watching the TID. When it comes to mid tones I only dig targets that have a steady to 1 digit difference either direction on the target ID. Many others dig all mid tones and pull way more gold rings that me. I ask myself, do I want to pull 1000 pull tags for every ring I dig? If you are a jewelry hunter, you will dig a lot of trash.

Thanks, that sounds like an excellent idea. I will do that. Great tips.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, that sounds like an excellent idea. I will do that. Great tips.

It took me a couple of weeks of swinging the coil about to build up some comfort level where I started to feel like I was doing okay. You are starting with a way better detector than I did. You'll get it and when you do I hope you post your finds.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me a couple of weeks of swinging the coil about to build up some comfort level where I started to feel like I was doing okay. You are starting with a way better detector than I did. You'll get it and when you do I hope you post your finds.
Oh you can bet as soon as I find anything better than a nail I will be posting it. I have a small historic property waiting with permission so I hope I can at the least find a Wheat Penny or something of age.
;-)

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new as well. I started this past week in our backyard. I dig up everything right now. But I try to use the discriminate knob on my Vaquero after I get a hit, rotating the knob while sweeping over the object to try and determine what it might be before I dig it up, so I can better learn. I read somewhere in an article that your first 20 hours as a new detector, you should dig up everything, and try to ID it before you dig it up. I'm following that principle at the moment, and I am learning because of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread