First timer hits the JACKPOT! I am still in shock, what a roll!

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I joined treasurenet because I like to metal detect, and liked the idea of sharing stories and finds. Exploring the site I seen the coin roll hunting sections and was very intrigued. I loved the stories and tips, and decided this winter when the ground is to frozen to detect I can take up coin roll hunting. Today I withdrew money from my Paypal account so that I could deposit it in my business bank account tommorrow. I realized I could get half dollars, go through them tonight, and deposit them tommorrow. After going to 5 banks I only had 18 rolls and I had to get home to my kids. My bank said they could have me all the halves I wanted by Wednesday, but of course that didn't work with my time constraints. My first several rolls I had found 1 40%(1967) and a 2005-p. I was half way through when I unfolded the top of one of the rolls. I seen the familiar glint of silver and seen the liberty bell glowing at me. I was like, no way, a Franklin half on my first try. I was pumped up! I lifted the coin to check it out and there below it I see Ben Franklin staring back at me. I thought to myself, no way, not the whole roll. I slowly emptied the contents out in my hand, and was greeted by 12 Franklin's and 8 WL halves! I sat there for a minute in disbelief, savoring the moment as I went through my handful of silver. The dates are as follows: 1 unreadable s-mint(1934 I think), 1940-s, 1942, 2 1942-s, 2 1944, 1944-s, 2 1951-s, 1952, 2 1954-d, 1957-d, 2 1958-d. 2 1959-d, 1961-d, and 1963-d. The rest of the rolls had nothing of value, but how do you top a full roll of silver? Thanks to all of you in this forum, you have given me a new way to treasurehunt and told me exactly how to do it. Beginners luck rules, now I will have to handle the grind. Keep posting, I love all of your stories...Ryan

Attachments

• detecting 156.jpg
    detecting 156.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 518
  • detecting 173.jpg
    detecting 173.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 507
  • detecting 176.jpg
    detecting 176.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 503
Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the CRH section. Glad you joined in.

WTG UH!! What a way to start CRH'ing. That certainly is a great roll. I can't help by try to imagine how long that roll has been tucked away....phew!

Again, kudos! You have this hobby down already....finding silver & posting the pictures......ha!

Keep em coming.........

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
lejeuene said:
First, welcome to the CRH section. Glad you joined in.

WTG UH!! What a way to start CRH'ing. That certainly is a great roll. I can't help by try to imagine how long that roll has been tucked away....phew!

Again, kudos! You have this hobby down already....finding silver & posting the pictures......ha!

Keep em coming.........

Thanks, you are actually my biggest hero in this section, I love your posts and positive attitude, and you are a big reason I am getting into the hunt. over 20 years metal detecting, 20,000 coins, 2 WL halves. First day CRH 20 silver halves.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Score!!!!
Nice way to start out- I guess you're hooked?
Congrats!

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
TXTim said:
Score!!!!
Nice way to start out- I guess you're hooked?
Congrats!

Hooked is an understatement. I just have to find the money and keep rolling it over like you pros, you and lejeuene are both amazing with your totals and your stories. Thanks for the inspiration...Ryan

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Man that's one SWEEEEET roll. That doesn't happen to often but i've had it happen 4 times. My first was a $20 roll. 40 coins. 19 Bens and 11 Walkers. I got 2 at the same bank some months apart. I can't wait for the next one. It don't get no betta. ;)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when you find a roll like that thats most likely "grandpas" collection that was "cashed in" by dumb bunnies after he past away for "folding money" by nuckle head folks who had no idea of its value ---their loss is your gain ---cha ching--- ;D "it pays to know"--- Ivan

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
awhitster said:
Man that's one SWEEEEET roll. That doesn't happen to often but i've had it happen 4 times. My first was a $20 roll. 40 coins. 19 Bens and 11 Walkers. I got 2 at the same bank some months apart. I can't wait for the next one. It don't get no betta. ;)

Bank hopping is a pain, but it stands to reason that it gives you the best chance of hitting a full roll. Luckily I have a hybrid car so if I go bank hopping I don't spend a lot on gas.
ivan salis said:
when you find a roll like that thats most likely "grandpas" collection that was "cashed in" by dumb bunnies after he past away for "folding money" by nuckle head folks who had no idea of its value ---their loss is your gain ---cha ching--- ;D "it pays to know"--- Ivan

That is probably the case, I just hope it wasn't some old widow cashing in her dead husbands collection to pay for the air conditioning in this brutal heat. I would gladly give her $50 each for any more rolls like this one ;)

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
First off, WAY TO GO ON THE SILVER!!! Welcome to the site and the hobby. You will love it and it is very addicting! I bet that got you hooked! Congrads!
Pepperpump ;D :o :D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread