First Try at CRH with Decent Results

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my first stab at coin roll hunting this weekend. On Friday, I stopped at two banks asking for halves. The first bank didn't have any. The second bank had $8 in the teller tray and two Ikes. I ended up with 12 (40%) and 1 (90%). Saturday I spent the day going to countless banks all through town. In total, I got $21 in halves from teller trays and they were all skunks. Along the way, I got a bank to order a box for me that will be in next week. Finally, at the last bank I stopped at, I decided to ask for a box of quarters. They were only able to give me $300 worth of MWR, so I took that. That resulted in one 1939 quarter.

I think I'm hooked on this hobby. I'm dying to go on the hunt today, but since it's Sunday my options are limited.

Upvote 0

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He who hunts finds. Also of you drive to countless banks you probably will pay more for gas then it would take to buy silver from your lcs. I however love the hunt. It not all about how much I find just the find itself. Congrats and welcome.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He who hunts finds. Also of you drive to countless banks you probably will pay more for gas then it would take to buy silver from your lcs. I however love the hunt. It not all about how much I find just the find itself. Congrats and welcome.

Thanks. It's definitely all about the hunt. It was a rush when the teller at that first bank said: "Oh yeah, I have these halves in my tray. They've been sitting here forever. Sorry, they are really dirty". I could hear the silver clinking before I even laid eyes on it.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coins.jpg

pic of the pile.

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done I haven't found a silver quarter in the wild yet but they have been my favorite to buy.

When I have been out at different banks last few weeks I have heard quite a few tellers tell me "Wow lots of people are asking for halves these days"

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I got that from a lot of the tellers. It was frustrating that a few of the banks said: "Oh sorry, someone just cleaned us out" I know I'm only two days into it, but I'm already starting to get a feel for the best areas to target based on those responses. I honestly never realized how many banks there are in my area. Yesterday I probably drove a total of 5 miles round trip and asked at about 20 banks along that route.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find if a lot of people are doing Halves. Its time to pick a new denomination. I still ask for loose halves but switch to dimes or nickels. Most people here that they can get ritch from crh. That's what drys out the teller tray halves. Those people don't have the dedication to do dimes or nickels. Silver is silver in my book.

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is silver halves just seem like the "easy" silver until the boxes dry up and your left dumping a ton of odd coins.

I like doing all different types since like you said its a hobby and the thrill of the hunt not my job. I actually like finding buffaloes more than war nicks.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find if a lot of people are doing Halves. Its time to pick a new denomination. I still ask for loose halves but switch to dimes or nickels. Most people here that they can get ritch from crh. That's what drys out the teller tray halves. Those people don't have the dedication to do dimes or nickels. Silver is silver in my book.

I think I'm just going to focus my effort on a different area. I live in a large city. I'm like 20 minutes away from areas that encompass all socioeconomic classes. Friday's score actually came from a lower-middle class suburb. Yesterday was an experiment to try an area that has a large population of foreign-born immigrants. My thinking was that there would be less people there that know about silver coins. I think I'll make my next try in the suburbs again and maybe even branch out to a rural area.

I'm definitely going to try some more quarters, though. I was giving it some thought and a silver quarter has more silver content than a 40% half. It has 2.5 times the silver of a dime. I know everyone says that quarters do not produce, but the way I look at it is that if I did two boxes of quarters and found one vs doing two boxes of dimes and finding two, I would still be ahead with the quarters. That is all subject to change based on how the results from my searching.

I have no intention of getting rich from CRH. I actually used to CRH when I was in high school and working at Mcdonalds. Over the course of 3 years just searching my till I only found a couple pieces of silver, one indian head, and a ton of wheats, so I'm well aware of how much coin you have to search to find results. I just look at it as a hobby that I can do in the winter when I can't metal detect or go fishing.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say with that kind of attitude you'll go far in this hobby. Also look for banks near old folks homes. Because they produce good for most.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I'm just going to focus my effort on a different area. I live in a large city. I'm like 20 minutes away from areas that encompass all socioeconomic classes. Friday's score actually came from a lower-middle class suburb. Yesterday was an experiment to try an area that has a large population of foreign-born immigrants. My thinking was that there would be less people there that know about silver coins. I think I'll make my next try in the suburbs again and maybe even branch out to a rural area.

I'm definitely going to try some more quarters, though. I was giving it some thought and a silver quarter has more silver content than a 40% half. It has 2.5 times the silver of a dime. I know everyone says that quarters do not produce, but the way I look at it is that if I did two boxes of quarters and found one vs doing two boxes of dimes and finding two, I would still be ahead with the quarters. That is all subject to change based on how the results from my searching.

Quarters are rare to find in the wild. Usually, you get about 1 per 8-10 boxes, so dimes are usually better. Also, the problem with immigrants is that they either came a really long time ago, and they may know about silver by now, or they came fairly recently (mainly Hispanics). These people won't have silver since it was not in circulation when they came.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters are rare to find in the wild. Usually, you get about 1 per 8-10 boxes, so dimes are usually better. Also, the problem with immigrants is that they either came a really long time ago, and they may know about silver by now, or they came fairly recently (mainly Hispanics). These people won't have silver since it was not in circulation when they came.

Good points. I ended up getting a box of quarters on Sunday and it was a skunk. Yesterday I hit about ten banks and ended up with ~$40 in CWR halves and $20 in Ikes. All skunks as well. My first box is supposed to be in today, so I'll update with the results from that. I was probably just really lucky with that one quarter. I still might try another box of quarters from the bank that produced the silver since the skunk box came from a different bank. I'm definitely getting a feel for which areas have hunters and which don't, so I know where to focus my attention. So many banks, so little time.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up with one 40% from the box. At least it wasn't a skunk. I date checked all the halves and it easily could have been missed by other hunters that edge check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread