first try at hunting halfs..results included

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
so i had to drive a long way today and decided to hit every bank i saw and ask for halves

total rolls searched ...48(24 from 1 bank.. 12 ea from 2 others) ... keepers ZERO...

got 2 bags from machines..
1 w/ 26.50 ... 1 40%
1 w/ 78.00 ... 1 40%

loose from tellers
$14 .. 1 40%
$8 .. ZERO
$6 .. 1 40%

so all in all only 4 x 40%ers .. did pretty bad considering my expectations from hitting all those banks

even more discouraging was searching all those rolls and coming up empty handed... all the while while seeing red and black marks here and there on them

1 bank said they could order $500 boxes for me.. as much as i want.. but the rolls i got from them were from one of their $500 boxes and they sucked

are my results typical?

should i get boxes from that bank even though their sample pool was worthless?

-rdb7

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
rdb7 said:
so i had to drive a long way today and decided to hit every bank i saw and ask for halves

total rolls searched ...48(24 from 1 bank.. 12 ea from 2 others) ... keepers ZERO...
are my results typical?

should i get boxes from that bank even though their sample pool was worthless?

-rdb7

Were the rolls you received hand rolls from customers or mint rolls (like Brinks, CWI, etc.)? I have found that 90%+ of the time I get hand rolls they are all rejects. I have hit a few lucky rolls of silver, but around here most of the hand rolls are rejects from some CRHer.

If the rolls you got were hand rolls, then I would have the bank order a couple $500 boxes of mint rolls.

I don't know what company your bank uses for coin rolls, but here Brinks seem to be the best. I have received some boxes of CWI rolls and they always have nothing or maybe 1 or 2 keepers if lucky.

Jim

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
I would order some boxes it would be alot easier than traveling along ways to find handrolls ... get into getting x amount of boxes in every week and then when u have some extra time or really need a fix hit the road in search of some handrolls .... this is just my opinion and what I like to do...... just food for thought and congrats u have 4 more keepers nothing great but u are starting a stash now , Ed

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Hi guys... i'm not sure how to tell if they were hand rolled or from the mint... some of the rolls had orange lettering and some had black... (however all the same color from the same banks) .. all the rolls seemed rolled very tight and obviously by a machine

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Hi RDB7, the rolls that u described are " shotgun rolls "aka Fed rolls and they came from Brinks , CWI , or some other courier ... as far as typical results yes unfortuntaley :( it is not uncommon to get skunked ( i.e. find nothing ) out of 48 rolls ... order as many boxes as you can afford and be able to get rid of the junks ones .

Best of luck , Ed

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ed,

is there little that little silver in circulation OR have so many people already picked through them all that the pickings are now slim?

i did setup an account at a dump bank.. they were fine with it as i setup the account as i turned in all the garbage halves lol... they said will you always have halves... how often..etc..

they said it wasn't a problem just that they needed to know so they could order boxes to ship them off in... of course i did tell them low numbers just to let it fly.. lol.. i said i get $500 or so every week or 2 (which 'if' i get into this i'll probably be getting more than that... although the major skunkage did leave a bad taste in my mouth for all the effort excerted lol)

OT(for scalper): .. i see you trade options... if you get bored... DD AAAC/AAACW... i own the W's... Nasdaq listing 'should' be coming per the company and the #'s look pretty good on this one imho

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
rdb7 said:
Ed,

is there little that little silver in circulation OR have so many people already picked through them all that the pickings are now slim?

i did setup an account at a dump bank.. they were fine with it as i setup the account as i turned in all the garbage halves lol... they said will you always have halves... how often..etc..

they said it wasn't a problem just that they needed to know so they could order boxes to ship them off in... of course i did tell them low numbers just to let it fly.. lol.. i said i get $500 or so every week or 2 (which 'if' i get into this i'll probably be getting more than that... although the major skunkage did leave a bad taste in my mouth for all the effort excerted lol)

OT(for scalper): .. i see you trade options... if you get bored... DD AAAC/AAACW... i own the W's... Nasdaq listing 'should' be coming per the company and the #'s look pretty good on this one imho

Hi RDB, there is still silver floating around but it is getting hit really hard , the price of silver is up ... major companies like Jackson Metals bought something like 24 million dollars worth ( dont quote me on the amount I cant remember the exact amount ) and there has to be a bunch of other big time companies picking them too ..plus there is a huge amount of individuals picking alot of coins ... some of the veterans on here can tell you how much their totals have dropped over the last 2 years or so ...

But anyways you just never know you could buy a couple of boxes and they could be loaded ... fwiw I dont do it to make $$$ I do it for the thrill of the hunt ...

Thanks for the stock picks I used to be a hard core OTC traders lol..now I trade options part of the year and commercial fish in the summers ..

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
yeah.. i'm not doing it for the money either.. would like to get a nice pile of them though.. and a few OLD ones would be nice too

commercial fishing sounds interesting.. is it extreme like those crab shows LOL.. ?

i usually just play strangles for big name earnings plays when it comes to options... although i do have a pile of financial puts as my 'just in case' lotto position

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions