First try with the Excalibur

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Ive had my Minelab now for over two weeks and today was the first time that I have been able to check it out. I wasnt able to travel far so I headed for a wide spot on a local river where boaters often stop and play on the shoreline.I found the water got very deep very fast so I was only able to detect a narrow strip along the bank.I fired the unit up and soon discovered that this was a whole different animal than what I was used to.(My other detectors are silent running , single tone with visual ID. and no threshhold tone.)Well, after about four hours and four hundred bottle caps I felt that I was starting to understand the language this unit was speaking.I had no interference so I was running on maximum sensitivity at the lowest disc setting.I spent alot of time chasing targets as the pin point seems a bit sloppier than what Im used to.(Maybe I just need a bigger scoop)?Anyway I did manage to snag 78 clad coins, an 82 Hotwheels Lemans car, and a small ring marked .925 PC ??....Sorry , I didnt post any pics of todays finds.THe pic is of three 14k earrings previously found with my IDX.I swiped these with the Minelab individually as well as combined and could not draw a signal???Whats up with that?Part of the reason I purchased the Minelab was based on many Non-bias testimonials of its ability to find "fine gold".Could there be something wrong with this unit?? Anyway...Im not writing it off yet.I plan on pushing this thing through some finer waters and posting some great finds before this season is over.
H.H. and no disrespect meant to those of you who may have advised me to purchase some other submersible....JO

Attachments

• h2ogold.jpg
    h2ogold.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal,

keep it up!

HH

Lonewolfe

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Every time I have changed detectors, I have found that there is a big learning curve and it takes a while to start finding the good stuff again. I'm sure it will come....Lance

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kinda' in the same boat having just bought a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. It is a PI detector and I have been use to a ULF machine with a big LCD screen . It is a whole different world isn't it? I am strugling a bit myself but I think we both can master it in time. I've read so many good reports on both units that it's just going to take a while. The main thing is that we have to put the coil over something good to recover it in the first place. I look forward to seeing your posts as you progress and I will do the same. JIM

Cfm

Jan 15, 2005
jopher,

The earrings you posted don't look gold to me... Are they marked gold? You have one of the best detectors on the market as far as I am concerned... Give it time...

jimmileo...

My buddy has a seahunter and he does pretty good with it, it takes time with a PI... I also own a PI of another brand, with the PI we dig it all and we dig deep... I was reading your first impressions and when you pinpoint your target, place your foot near your coil and you should have no problem digging up the target. :)

I love my PI on the beach more than my VLF machine now... Dry or wet doesn't matter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread