First U.S. Eagle Breastplate Recovered!

artifacthunter

Jul 12, 2008
Central Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hunting buddy invited me to detect a property in northern Maryland that had been hunted several times over the years. The 2nd Corps had passed through this location on their way to Gettysburg. I could tell right away that there was still a good chance to find something since there were many good reading targets in the ground. Previous hunters must have been trying to focus on buttons, bullets, and coins.

After a few hours I had found several brass items including a ring, a badge shaped frame that might have held a photo, a brass knob from over 8" down that sounded fantastic, a gold plated button, and a single modern penny. One item of interest was a silver plated decorated sheet wrapped around an iron rod:icon_scratch:. The grounds had been in use for nearly 200 years, so there were many targets with signals overlapping making discrimination and pinpointing a bit of a challenge.
Towards the end of our time to hunt, I moved to a side yard and got a strong hit. Thinking I had a possible coin, I called my friend over and began to dig. I was surprised when the signal was still in the hole after clearing out 5" of soil. In fact, using the pinpointer I found that the signal was coming from under a root to one side of the hole. I kept digging and at about 7" saw a gray disk. My friend yelled out "plate!", and I began to dig more carefully. We finally slowly pulled my first eagle breastplate from its 149 year resting place! :hello2:The plate was on edge, under a root, 7" down. It is amazing thinking that the last person to hold that plate was heading on to Gettysburg within days! I've posted photos of the plate as recovered and after brushing off some of the dirt. Also photos are included of many of the other targets recovered to give some perspective of what we were finding in the same yard. Thanks for looking and allowing me to share one of the most exciting days of hunting I've had in about 25 years of detecting!

Attachments

• 20120903_eagle_1389.JPG
    20120903_eagle_1389.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 223
  • 20120903_finds_1390.JPG
    20120903_finds_1390.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 20120903_mystery_1391.JPG
    20120903_mystery_1391.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 20120903_shield_1392.JPG
    20120903_shield_1392.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 2012_09_03_dug.JPG
    2012_09_03_dug.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 200
Upvote 0

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Must have been a thrill digging that plate!!!! Luv it!:hello2:

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find , hey if you get a id on that brass piece below the picture of the plate let me know ive got one identical to that ...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go those things are awesome. I found my only one in Ringgold,Ga. last year. Cool finds all the way around............HH

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is one sweet find. congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome find. That is one sweet relic. I am sure that made your weekend. Congratulations to you. I like the badge as well. Looks to be the same period.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great find!

OP
OP
artifacthunter

artifacthunter

Jul 12, 2008
Central Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brass keyhole plate

Awesome find , hey if you get a id on that brass piece below the picture of the plate let me know ive got one identical to that ...

Thanks everyone for all of the great comments!
After browsing pictures of antique furniture hardware, I think I've identified one of the mystery pieces - seen just below the plate in the group of relics. It looks like a broken brass keyhole plate similar to this whole one from the internet:

Attachments

• keyhole_plate.jpg
    keyhole_plate.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 377

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt, amazing relics , AC

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go - Congratulations!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a first rate find, but this post, and your write-up, are truly world class. Congratulations on your first one. After this, they will be easier for you to find. That's the way it always seems to work. Once I dug my first, I dug 1-2 per year on average after that.

Cheers,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread