first v nickel of the year

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today was a dreary day so I didnt want to travel to my normal spots so I decided to hit some local parks for some easy walking. The first thing I noticed at the first park was the same thing I have been seeing in some of the other parks around town. I found so many holes around the park that was about 2 foot by 2 foot and looking really bad.It burns me up when you try your best to be neat and then some you know what decides to bring an excavator to a local park to dig a flippin coin. Needless to say they didnt even find half of the targets they were digging for. I found so many coins sitting right in the tops of these holes. I found a gold earing in one of the holes sitting on the edge of a hole that was dug about a foot down and looked like a four foot diameter hole. wow. Blows my mind. I got so mad fixing all these hole that I left and went to another spot,,, guess what the guy must have been there too..... Oh my I was frustrated. Well I just kept fixing the holes after scanning and picking the targetes they were looking for and managed to get a couple keepers for the day. All said 9 quarters 15 dimes 16 pennies all clad and one crusty v nickel 1909,,,you guessed it ,,,,in one of those already butchered holes. One silver smiling skull ring and two gold earings. Please take the big shovels home and practice before you travel out to ruin the local parks lady and germs. I wouldnt have posted but since there is so many newcomers to the site I thought it could be food for thought. You dont need to dig monster holes to find a coin in the park. If you do,, Take the time to fix your crap... Thank you and sorry for venting

Attachments

• v nickel.jpg
    v nickel.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Jewelry 13.jpg
    Jewelry 13.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a good day despite the land mines. The skull ring is really cool. What boggles my mind even more than the holes you've come upon is people who film this horrible behavior and put it on youtube. I cringe every time I see it. Terrible. Look, not every hole I dig goes as planned. Sometimes it crumbles despite my best efforts, but for the most part, when I walk away you can't tell I was there unless you look really close. I aim for that with every hole. Wish everyone did! Don't let it get you down.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
You know moles can make the grass look like it's been hit every where with a shovel too. I'm always smashing down and trying to fix the mole holes for fear someone would think I left it that way!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't quite figured out how to use the Lesche trowel effectively, so I'm one of those hunters who uses a mini spade. But one thing I always do is fill in my holes and try to replace the grass. If I had to guess, especially based on the missed finds, is that some kid got an MD for his birthday or Christmas and was trying it out. Can't always fault the uninitiated for what they don't know or understand.

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankfully I haven't seen any indication of MD'ers where I go. I know their out there, as i've seen a few, but i'm thankful that they're clean. It's a shame that a few sour apples can ruin the bunch.

Anyhow, congrats on your finds.

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't quite figured out how to use the Lesche trowel effectively, so I'm one of those hunters who uses a mini spade. But one thing I always do is fill in my holes and try to replace the grass. If I had to guess, especially based on the missed finds, is that some kid got an MD for his birthday or Christmas and was trying it out. Can't always fault the uninitiated for what they don't know or understand.

I understand that when you are starting out it is not easy. I also understand that each new metal detector comes with a manual that has instructions on how to dig a proper hole. I am not a big fan of hunting parks and ball fiels but sometimes I enjoy some easy terrian. I seen the boot prints of this fellow and I assure you he was no little kid with a new detector. I seen over 50 holes in each park and ballpark in a wide range of area. He may not know how to use his machine or something but he sure doesnt know how to fix a hole. All I want is to help educate someone whom may not know better. It doesnt hurt me per say as I normally dont hunt these spots but once every so often. I just want those to appreciate that the next generation of detectors will have a chance to go to these places as well in the future if we are responsible for our actions and not just looting . This is a hobby and I love this hobby. Agian I hunt in other places most of the time but still want to be able to go to the small amount of local parks with my girlfriend or whomever and enjoy without being looked at like I am the one destroying property. This site is not only to show how much goods we find but to help each other learn from our experiences,no one man knows it all. I am no pro but just want the opportunity to enjoy and promote responsible detecting for all of us.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My buddy NJLARGECENT demos how to property use a Lesche style digger and patch it up!

This was a nice lawn that behaved, sometimes stuff crumbles. But try not to cut a complete circle. Leave a little on one side so you can peal it back. It's easier to place back, and I actually read somewhere that it's better for the roots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread