First "V" nickle find... 1886

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a goal to find my first barber coin and started detecting a local park near my house. I walked over to where there is an old sidewalk and started digging up a bunch of wheats all 1913, so I thought "oh cool, maybe there is some old money here" lol. Then I dug up a 1916 buffalo at the base of a pine tree. I was getting pretty excited because I thought maybe I would be able to reach my goal of getting a barber. I walked over to the sidewalk and got a very faint high signal and dug down in excitement and out popped a 1902 "s" barber dime... Well I had to leave, but I was pretty pumped up lol I told my wife that day I wanted to find my first v nickel, so I went back the next morning and what do ya know... my first coin was this "v" nickel. Sorry for the pics I have to use the laptop camera lol The back of the nickel is toasted, but at least the front is legible. picture076.jpg picture077.jpg picture078.jpg HH

Upvote 1

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One year older and you would have had the sought after 1885. Congrats on the nice finds. :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're having that kind of luck calling them then finding them , I say set your sights a little higher ! Oh - maybe a twenty dollar gold piece - something like that !

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One year older and you would have had the sought after 1885. Congrats on the nice finds. :thumbsup:

Yeah I know Dangit!!! 86 is the second least minted though. Mine is in rough shape anyway... still love it though!!

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're having that kind of luck calling them then finding them , I say set your sights a little higher ! Oh - maybe a twenty dollar gold piece - something like that !

Man I would pass out!!! hahaha. There was actually a confederate camp located on the park property, but who knows where... They built a full golf course that surrounds it and also a skate park, gym, and four playgrounds so I probably wouldn't find it anyway. There were actually three camps in my town, but the one that they have preserved is full of nothing but beer bottles, cans, and bottle tops... not to mention the millions of mosquitos.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still no slouch at $300 in G-4 condition. Obviously a GREAT find! Congrats..............Hogge

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the "v" club. Seems like a good park. HH

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've started digging all of the pull tab signals lately and have found a ton of nickels and never would have without persistence. Believe me my trash pouch is full after a good hunt lol

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys... I will be posting all of my good finds. I think i'm just breaking the ice on this park. Finds are starting to slow down, but found an indian head a little ways away from the other coins so I can expand my search now lol Seems like the other parks in the city haven't been hunted either. I guess people around here haven't caught on yet:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread