First V Nickle! First pocket spill w/ silver! First Dime Trifecta! FIRST SEATED!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
*panting*
Man I had a GREAT 2 hour hunt today... On the way to my "buffalo" park, I drove past this beautiful, three story house that's being redone. My Grandfather in law farmed the back of it as a boy, and the OLD tracks used to run through the back yard. I saw the plot (without the house) on an 1887 USGS map. I said...the heck with it, I will stop and ask. The owner was outside working on the house when I approached. I asked him, giving him the shpeel about cleaning up after myself and showing him what I find...and he said that's fine, but you'll have to ask my wife...I did and she said YES!

My first coin signal was a penny/dime signal about 5"...I dug and saw that old familiar silver rim, pulled it out and took it to the Lady of the house. She watched me wash it off and was almost as happy to see this as I was...
1927 merc.JPG
1927 merc back.JPG

I showed the husband, and went back to swingin'. About 20 minutes later, I got a funny signal...It was strong! but it said penny...penny/dime...nickle...penny/dime...penny...etc. Kept giving me those three readings...so I pinpointed, and dug a trap door plug. I popped up the plug, and a THIN dime popped out! I grabbed it, but couldn't tell what it was. I looked back at the plug, and there were three more coins! I got those out and knew I had two pennies and a nickle. I scanned the hole again, and found two pennies with silver between them! 7 COINS! The owners watched me as I cleaned them and got to find out what they were right along with me. I could tell they were having fun also!
7 coin pocket spill.JPG
1911, 1913, 1913 "D", 1916 Wheaties
1906 "V" Nickle
1906 V nickle.JPG
1906 V back.JPG
1907 Barber
1907 Barber.JPG
1907 Barber back.JPG
1891 SEATED DIME! My oldest silver to date!
1891 Seated Dime.JPG
1891 seated back.JPG
My first dime trifecta...
trifecta front.JPG
trifecta back.JPG

Thanks for lookin' and I will post pics of the house if the owner says it's ok...can't WAIT to go back!

~Tom

Upvote 0

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Tom,

Congrats on your oldest silver and the dime trifecta! If you haven't already, you might offer the homeowner a mercury dime as thanks. Usually opens doors to return visits and you would be surprised at how many friends' houses' they refer you to for hunting! :icon_thumright:

Jim

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: First V Nickle! First pocket spill w/ silver! First Dime Trifecta! FIRST SEA

I could use one of them.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
OMG DUDE!! :hello2: That's amazing! The dime trifecta just blows me away, and a SEATED. I'm gonna have to start asking to hunt yards. I've just never been able to make myself. But I just might now! Congrats man. :icon_thumright:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I agree with ziphius. I've done this and turned out to be a blessing. I found a 1917 merc and gave it to the lady and it just so happened that it was her birth yr. She had it put in a bezzle and wore it on a chain. Both houses on either side of her gave me permission. :icon_thumright:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom , Way to go man ! Your MXT is indeed smokin hot ! What sort of set up were you using
with regard to gain , mode , disc , and coil type --? as an MXT fanatic myself , I can benefit
from this info . Thanks Argentium.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a fantastic 2 hours of detecting! The detail on the Merc is outstanding!

Congrats on the trifecta! :hello2:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those oldie pocket spills are fun to find. I've found one. 9 coins in all. Love the variety of those oldie coins. That was a good one :hello2:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Even worn those Seated are a thing of beauty. Congrats. :thumbsup:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first, great hunt there for sure.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Ziphius: This is only my 4th Merc!!! I may part with it if I find some more in their yard. I think they had a good time with it...they invited me back anytime...Good suggestion though!
Texasgopher: I am 2 for 2 on asking. It's definitely...and obviously worth it. I suggest bringing some of your previous finds, as a show and tell!
Agentium: I keep my GAIN a little hotter than factory @ about the 10, my DISC @ 1, Threshold @ a constant, but quiet hum, coin and jewelry, W/ auto ground trac! That's my recipe for success...
Crazyjarhead: I've only found one pocket spill before, W/ a Buff, a Wheaty, and a steel Wheaty almost unrecognisable. This is my earliest, with the newest coin a 1916 wheat!
Thanks for lookin' to the rest of ya, and keep the comments comin'!

~Tom

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way to go :icon_thumleft: nice pocket spill ;D still amazed by the 3 barber dimes and 1 V , that i dug a few weeks back in the same hole.. those spills are the best to find :D and congrats on the oldest coin!!!! MR TUFF

deano

Oct 25, 2008
sioux city ,iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus 2, Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 900, Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex
WTG and congrats on the Trifecta plus the first and the oldest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread