First visit from the police in my new town !

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not stay in town today after work so after I came home and took care of the dog I headed to a nearby park lawn that I have worked twice before scince I moved here 3 months ago ! It is a big ash dump covered over with anywhere from 4 inches to a foot of top soil over it . I can punch through the soil in places and I have picked up a few nice relics out of here already ! I was in plain site to the road and saw the cop car pull up ! Here we go I thought ! She walked over and I had a pretty big deep hole going and she told me there was a complaint about me digging there ! I proceded to fill the hole in while I asked her if there was an ordinance against Metal detecting on city property . She said it was one thing to find a coin on the ground and pick it up and digging a good sized hole in the lawn ! I explained to her that I was not really looking for coins per say and certainly not modern coins on top of the ground . I told her about the ash dump underneath the top soil and that I was looking for items in the ash and I asked her if she could find any evidence of damage to the lawn ! I also showed her all the trash I had put in my bag and explained to her that I leave the place cleaner than before I hunted there ! She said ok that should satisfy the complaitant and told me to have a nice evening and went on her way ! Only 3 wheaties and some clad today ! MaineRelic.

Attachments

• IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,019
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story, :o I'm happy you talked some sense into her and got to keep the site !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if you have heard the last of it yet ??? Some people have no idea what we do >:( I asked a guy this year if I could metal detect his property and he just didn't get what I was trying to ask him I could do. He just said, "No, let's not go there" and hung up on me.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.S.A every day that passes is more like Spain.
up writing for permission to detect and paying taxes of $ 2000 per month. :'(
Nice finds.... :wink:
Greetings!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You handled yourself well there man... :) Feather in the cap for that cop. She'll be able to handle nosy watchers without bugging you next time.

Can you tell me a bit more about ash dumps?

I have been in an area where I found an old coin, and noticed 6-9 inches down, I hit a layer of greyish dirt ... seemed ashy to me. lol

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done! If one does not try to do something positive then it will not happen. You'd done a clean job on the hole, showed the trash you were taking away and were not rude to the officer, how could she not trust you.

63bkpkr

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems to happen more n more :-\ nice finds all the same ;D MR TUFF

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling..
In the last 4 years I have had the police called on me detecting at least 10 times.. All say good luck and leave....
Happy Hunting

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010
been there! the trooper was more interested in the finds than the complaint and drove away. even the person that called got real interested innocent hobby krazyhorses

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Way to handle a sensitive situation.

In my area, using a shovel or knife to cut a plug are usually off-limits, just because too many people have tore up parks here and not replaced their divots. Lawns difficult to mow when there are foot-deep holes in them.

The best thing you did, IMO, was show the policeperson your junk finds: recognizing you are doing a public service by removing trash. Especially helpful locally is showing police a hunk of lead, like a wheel balance weight, and mentioning the toxicity of the lead to the environment. Here in Portland, it gets 'em almost every time!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to handle your public servant :hello: Good job on the finds sir. So today was Ash Wednesday ???

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with all the above.

luck

rory

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Neat story ! Good thing for me, I live in a small town and know all of the officers around here..... ;)

Most of them want to go with me on hunts !

Nice finds :)

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!

A police officer with at least some common sense and a detectorist who covers their holes very well.

Thanks for making us look good and thanks for digging nice "invisible" holes. I just wish more people tried to do just that.

Bob

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Good job, wish all cops had the ability to think on their own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread