First War Nickel!

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug my first war nickel today. Do they normally come out of the ground looking like this?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499298191.293861.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499298225.315181.jpg

Upvote 10

Stuart82

Jun 16, 2016
Western Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup. I just found my first one last month. Looks the same. Nice find!

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually look like that, because they are only 35% silver with other metals. Its the other metals that can make them look like that depending on where it has been hiding. Congrats on your first one.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quite a few now and they can vary on condition based on soil content I reckon. Yours looks wonderful and can probably be cleaned up a bit if you care to. Some folks frown on cleaning silver but, it's not that valuable and if you're going to keep it why not? Congrats mate.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pulled a 1943P last week from a hillside and it was black but some of it rinsed off. Last year I found a 1945S with no tarnish. Depends on the soil.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quite a few now and they can vary on condition based on soil content I reckon. Yours looks wonderful and can probably be cleaned up a bit if you care to. Some folks frown on cleaning silver but, it's not that valuable and if you're going to keep it why not? Congrats mate.
For the record, I frown on cleaning anything pre civil war or key dates. Everything else Scrub away! Once they've been in the ground you can't really hurt em. But I would rather have a fresh out of the ground corroded Pine tree then a cleaned one, any day of the week. Shoot I had a brass brush on some crusty wheaties earlier today

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a real good year on war nickels, this year I believe I'm at 8 or 9. I love war nickels. A lot of people say don't clean your coins but if they're just call her or Nichole's or buffalo nickels or even the Nichols I'll clean mine with a SOS pad and they look so much better. Much better then being red and dark. Here's one example. It's was red and crusty. IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a real good year on war nickels, this year I believe I'm at 8 or 9. I love war nickels. A lot of people say don't clean your coins but if they're just call her or Nichole's or buffalo nickels or even the Nichols I'll clean mine with a SOS pad and they look so much better. Much better then being red and dark. Here's one example. It's was red and crusty. View attachment 1469742 View attachment 1469743

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An excellent example of scrub away! Nice find and looking much better than red and crusty :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions